PDA

View Full Version : Coffee jar canister filter?

Mr_chimp
12th Oct 2010, 05:29 AM
Anyone ever used a large coffee jar as a canister filter? just wondered if it would work

Shrimpnairf
13th Oct 2010, 12:30 PM
i have pondered something along those lines, that is if the top seals! Then you can use a power head with a sponge intake to pump water into it, this hose would have to go to the bottom of the jar,(with a spacer cut out to fit down there with many holes cause water will need to flow up, hose in center ) On top of that plate sits filter floss then carbon/am chips. another hole in top will be needed for outflow back into tank. you could seal these holes with aquarium sealant.

If you have a drill with a diamond tipped bit you could drill a hole in the bottom and use it as a trickle down filter. Anyway increasing the amount of bacteria should only mean a heathier tank.

what were you thinkin of building?

Mr_chimp
13th Oct 2010, 03:18 PM
well if got a eheim 2010 in my tank and was thinking going along the external filter route, but didnt want to have to a new filter and ive got a small pump from a crappy fountain, was thinking of having 2 detactable pipes going in to top and doing it that way. wot level does the intake pipe have to sit in the tank, does it have to be at the bottom?

another point to make, can you put a heater in the filter so you dont have to have one in the tank

Shrimpnairf
14th Oct 2010, 12:14 PM
if the jar is big enough i done see why not, but it means another hole to plug

Mr_chimp
15th Oct 2010, 02:46 AM
found the perfect jar today, massive kenco with plastic screw top jar, gonna have to get a rubber washer to go between the jar and lid tho but shouldnt be to difficult to find.

as to the heater i think i would have to use 2 too easily heat the tank as i think 1 that fits wouldnt do the job.

Once im able to post pics ill show some step i took