PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Hairgrass is Dying... Please Help!

ucng
6th Oct 2010, 12:35 PM
i have changed my lighting to 2 15 watt CFL spiral bulbs and they should be adequate for my 10 gallon tank. I started dosing with excel, flourish and will start to dose with iron from seachem. I have also placed root tabs for the hair grass, but it still seems to "yellow" and deteriorate. Sigh!>(:embarasse:embarasseAnyone have any suggestions? My substrate is just pool filter sand because i did not put aquarium soil in at the beginning. Now that i have a shrimp colony in it, i would hate to have to take them out and take the chance of killing them all. Please help or leave me suggestions on what i should do.

Some members on this forum have said that their hairgrass was able to grow with just root tabs and sand as a substrate. I dont know what is going on with mine.

Here is a picture.

adrianng1996
6th Oct 2010, 01:15 PM
maybe the peoples said that it can grow in sand and root tabs inclusive of co2?

ucng
6th Oct 2010, 01:36 PM
im not sure if dwarf hairgrass needs co2, but i am supplying excel so i dont think thats the problem

Frank
6th Oct 2010, 03:24 PM
Plants are adapted to light. This could be the reason.
As bigger the light spectrum changes as bigger the problems for the plant.

Shrimpnairf
9th Oct 2010, 02:01 PM
maybe water is wrong, ph or something. sorry i never tried keeping this grass. maybe its not a true underwater grass?

knuui
10th Oct 2010, 01:41 PM
I’m not sure we share the same kind of hairgrass, but I think they look similar. As you can see I'm just keeping the hairgrass in a 1.5L pepsi bottle and with some gravel. Nothing else, no fertiliser, no CO2. And I rarely change the water, just add treated water when the water is evaporated. pH is about 7.2
I've been keep them for 2 months and I don't see problems...

Anubia
20th Oct 2010, 08:53 PM
Most aquatic hairgrass's do prefer a plant / fert substrate and C02...It is also one of these plants that either take and establish or you get massive melt and the plants diminish into mush...

Perhaps more low-tech plants will be better suited... Mosses are good and you can plant some stunning ones's...The easiet is Java moss / fern that you can attach to rock / wood hardscaping. Other low-tech are Bolbitis, Anubia Nana 'petite' and Posgostem Helferi...All these are suited tolower lighted non C02 environments.

Let me know how you get on.....Cheers

retardo
21st Oct 2010, 07:51 AM
The plant may be going through an adjustment period because the environment it was in originally is drastically different than its new one.

dannyfish
22nd Oct 2010, 04:32 PM
Hi all

I also facing some problem growing my hairgrass too

they are growing but not as bushy as i saw some pic in forum is so bushy and green. I can see runners but also not many.
how to make the plant grow fast / greener / bushy..? i guess somewhere must be wrong...
I don't have any test aids
the only plant that is growing v well is java fern, and the old leave is now covered with new green small plants....1 of the light is becoming transparent which i suspect is too much lighting

My tank

55litres
T5 24W x 4 (4 - 6 hours per day)
DIY Co2 x 3 bottle of 1.5L (Co2 checker show green, i assume is having sufficient co2)
fertilizer is dry dose of CaNo3, K2So4, fleet emena, mg2so4 & CaCo3 & seachem flourish
weekly change of water 20%
temperature 28-30deg (ops)

Any one can assume what is wrong here
Thank...

babisfloros
22nd Oct 2010, 04:47 PM
hi!
If your case isn't what retardo says (acclimatization period)
try pulling it out
and replanting it emersed in aquasoil or potting soil.
No need to flood the new vessel with water,just keep it mois by spraying over it twice a week
and keep it tapped to preserve thew moisture.
best of luck!

donnie
2nd Nov 2011, 07:20 PM
what you have in the first picture is still like 5x better then what they had at my lfs today for dwarf hair grass. The only plant I wanted and it was dead , I was kind of upset.

rod
4th Nov 2011, 07:22 AM
You might want to try to have your lights on longer. I can't get it to grow without algae in less than 12 hours a day. Which is what most higher light plants require. 4-6 would be fine for Java or other low light plants. Let us know if you find what works for you. If it is a deeper tank you may need stronger lighting.

fishman1
4th Nov 2011, 07:46 AM
simple answer is that nano tanks need alot more light like 6wpg I use 30 watts over my 5 gallon and it grows hairgrass beleem perfectly

iro
20th Nov 2011, 10:25 PM
dwarfgrass is a swamp plant and will do fine under water for a time but die anyway, but if you put him with his spikes above the watersurface this plant will be in perfect conditions, plus enough light like fishman says it will give you many years of growing, a pitty is that among the aquariumplants many kinds are used who are swampplants and are doomed to die when putt fully under water.

logi-cat
29th Nov 2011, 05:45 PM
whats the light temperature your using? You prob want to use something around 6500k - 8000k at least

aussieant32
30th Nov 2011, 05:50 PM
yer up the lights.

I have to trim my hairgrass once a week in my 30L.

I have pressurised Co2 but it still grows crazy