PDA

View Full Version : DIY CO2 poll (mixture)

ucng
4th Oct 2010, 05:38 PM
Hey guys,

I have made a diy c02 with a 2 litter bottle with a bubble counter for my 10 gallon shrimp tank. What is best mixture for what goes into it? Please post what you guys are using in your bottles. Also, has anyone here tried the Jello CO2 Method? I heard that it can be more effective and consistent. Thanks

countcoco
5th Oct 2010, 01:40 AM
I use about 4 heaping tbs of sugar, 1 tsp highly active yeast, 1/2 tsp of baking soda, and fill the bottle with RO or dechlorinated water. I've read that yeasts for making champagne and wine are far superior, but I don't think it's worth the trouble of tracking them down. Also, it will be much more effective if you run the co2 line into the intake of your filter.

Never heard of the Jello method....

powerreef
16th Oct 2010, 11:52 AM
the problem was, when you put the DIY- CO2 outlet into the canister inlet. the canister filter will suck all the YEAST to your tank. One of my friend having this issue and smell bad to his planted tank... a messy..

babisfloros
29th Oct 2010, 05:35 PM
hallo guys
ucng, I suggest the following:
Drop the 2 liter bottle, and go buy yourself a garden pump sprayer. For your 10G=40L you'll need a 2L garden sprayer.
It's far easier to use regulate and maintain than a refreshments bottle usually used by many.
You can even install aquael's easy heater in it ('cause it's plastic unlike most that are glass made) to maintain 21-28 degrees Celcius in your yeast mixture.
My recipe for a 5L container (for my 100L tank) is: a)dechlorinated water from my R/O unit (NOT R/O water but the discarded water of the R/O unit), or tank water full of nutrients for the yeast to feed, about 4Liters. Note, only in case your using 100% R/O water you'll need to raise your alkalinity with soda
b) 400g sugar(any kind)
c) a table spoon of molasses(yeast nutrients)
d) a couple of teaspoons of soya flour (yeast nutrients)
e) dry baker's yeast (1teaspoon for 4L of water)
Note, Yeast must be activated in a small shaker-bottle with sweet water (38 degrees Celcius)
by shaking vigorously for a couple of minutes and only then introduced to the main container with the rest of ingredients.
Good luck!