PDA

View Full Version : Badis Badis Bengalis (Sp?)

gary35111
28th Oct 2005, 12:01 AM
Hi guys, I came across a web-site on this rather small and colourful interesting fish, badis badis scarlet red or something (3.5 cm). I realise these are fishes I have seen selling in LFS but gave a miss for I thought that they were baby cichilid which will grow big, well they sure look like cichilid! The fishes are so cute and colourful especially the male and it will be great to add a pair (male and female) into the planted tank, not that I want them to reproduce but just to have them there as I read how cute and interesting these mini-mes behaviours are.

Does anyone over here kept these fishes before? If I ever get myself a pair, I would put them in my shrimp's tank. Will they be a threat to the shrimplets? And will they accept tablets foods (for the shrimp) or baby's powder food? I use those to feed my boraras.

Thanks.

silane
28th Oct 2005, 02:14 AM
Scarlet red will attack shrimps, not much chance for shrimplets to survive in a tank with them.

And they take only live food.

fatboy
28th Oct 2005, 02:29 AM
I've had some of these for about 6 months. They're fantastic. :D

I first saw them in a fish shop along with bamboo shrimp. They were tiny, a pale yellow colour and very quiet. I thought they'd be perfect with shrimp. A few days later I was seriously questioning this. They started turning red - a sign they're settling in - and racing around like tiny cichlids. They look aggressive and will argue among themselves. My dominant male killed 2 other badis and ignored everything else, including the shrimp (amanos, cherry red, bamboo). They started mating and the babies survived with no special food.

They will probably attack the shrimplets. :( I had adult shrimp in that tank for 3 months and never saw any babies. I'm sure it was the badis that ate them - they try and eat anything that wiggles and they're fast.

P.S. I think scarlet badis is the most common english-language name.

gary35111
28th Oct 2005, 03:24 PM
:( *sigh* Then they are out in my CRS's tank. Maybe I should keep them in an only species tank or with cheaper shrimp like blue or cherry...By the way, will they eat mini snail? Or snail's egg?

kross
4th Nov 2005, 10:21 PM
:( *sigh* Then they are out in my CRS's tank. Maybe I should keep them in an only species tank or with cheaper shrimp like blue or cherry...By the way, will they eat mini snail? Or snail's egg?

Yes, they will clear the eggs but not the snails. :D

masni
18th Nov 2005, 04:41 AM
Hi all,

the scarlet badis's true name is Dario dario.
It truly is a wonder. It feeds only on live food and is an egg scaterer.
To breed them you should use a set of 4, 5 l tanks. Each month or so put the fish in one of the other 3 tanks, but keep pourring infusoria and green water in the "empty" tank.

In a few weeks, if all goes well you should see some fry appear in the following weeks.

You will undoubtfully have much more males than females, so really take care of these. They are really hard to find over here but definitely worth the search!

theguy418
18th Nov 2005, 03:33 PM
Can you elaborate more on that Masni? What do you mean by putting the fish in one of the other 3 tanks every month?

Its funny, the topic of scarlet badis and shrimps out of nowhere popped up in a conversation with my friend today, and it pops up on ShrimpNow too on the same day.

masni
19th Nov 2005, 02:53 AM
imagine for one single species that you need to have 4 tanks. the tanks are identical, same filter, same water parameters, same plants, ect...

you buy the fish on day 1, you put them in the tank # 1, on day 30 you put them in the tank # 2, the # 1 is now empty but the fish have surely bred and the fry will develop by themselves, without being beaten up by the parents.

on day 60 the parents are moved to tank # 3.
# 4 is still empty, # 1 & 2 have fry or eggs developping.

on day 90 the parents are moved to tank # 4.

on day 120 the fry from the tank # 1 can be moved out and settled in a growing tank. the parents are then moved in tank # 1 wich has just been emptied.

on day 150 the fry from the tank # 2 join the first batch in the growing tank and the parents are moved into tank # 2.

and so on and so on.

the fry grow fairly slowly, and as i already said not much females for masses of males.

hope this helps.

theguy418
19th Nov 2005, 01:34 PM
So its a way to ensure the success of each new spawn. I see. What do you feed your badis fry? They must be TINY little guys.

masni
19th Nov 2005, 08:23 PM
the tank in itself will bring most of the food the fry need. so it has to be overgrown sith java moss and other non substrat needing plants.

you should also pour in green water at least twice a day, little by little. you can even imagine continuous very very slow dripping, with a bottle placed above the tank.

a few days are needed before the fry are able to eat micro worms or cyclop nauplii. and another 2 to 3 weeks before they can catch BBS.

sexual maturity of my fry was reached at age of 5 months.

i forgot in my last post to mention that you need to give the female some rest from time to time. therefor separate her from the male each 2 months.