PDA

View Full Version : Marineland Double Bright LED sufficient for 10 Gal planted tank?

Al0ha
23rd Aug 2010, 01:22 AM
Hey everybody, I'm currently cycling a 10 gal cherry shrimp tank with some plants in mind. I am running a 24 watt PC and i just purchased the Marineland Double Bright LED 18-24
(shoplink removed)
which comes with 6 1W daylight LEDs totaling 450 Lumens and 3 Lunar LEDs which I have learned does absolutely nothing.

My question is, would that be sufficient light to grow thriving Christmas moss, Moss balls, and dwarf baby tears in a 10 Gallon standard tank. I will be creating a DIY Co2 unit. Thanks everyone!

frothhelmet
2nd Oct 2010, 06:37 PM
Sup Al0ha. I can't help but reply to someone from my home-state.

Alright, now down to your question. 24 watt PC on a ten gallon is fine (2.4 watts per gallon) with or without DIY CO2 to grow all the plants you listed. I am not familiar with LEDs (yet), but Christmas moss will grow under almost any light, and the others should grow fine considering what I have read on the Marinelands, though perhaps slowly. FWIW, the Marineland LEDs are not considered to be strong lights.

countcoco
3rd Oct 2010, 03:26 PM
You should have enough light to grow everything on your list, although the dwarf baby tears might struggle a bit as frothhelmet mentioned. What kind of substrate are you using? Even with a lot of light, dwarf baby tears will suffer if they aren't planted in a nutrient rich substrate.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but IME everything Marineland manufactures is crap. If you can still return the led fixture, do it, because all it's doing is taking up space. Your PC lighting should be enough.