PDA

View Full Version : Crossbreading Babaulties?

gr81
26th Oct 2005, 07:03 PM
As am I afrait, diferent colors of babaulties (green, red-back, blue) can crossbreed. How does young ones looks like? Will colors mix to something ungly, or will some green, red, blue?
Thnx

Robert
26th Oct 2005, 07:39 PM
Hi,
they don't really crossbreed. There are different species yes but I know only one of them which shows this wide variety of colors. BTW, the color depends on the mood and a almost brown one can become green and vise versa. So a pure green strain should not be possible. I kept and bred them for 7 generations and it wasn't possible to breed pure strains, all colors appeared. I guess because if intermediate aka co-dominant traits. BTW, I start with a pure green pair and got lots of differend shades of green and brown as well as a recessive orange till red mutation.
Regarding the blue, it shouldn't be one of their normal colors. I kept at least two species of these "green shrimps" and there was no solid blue offspring ever. When they are stressed, one of the species becomes slightly bluish sometimes but that's all.

regards
Robert

gr81
26th Oct 2005, 08:12 PM
I mean this:( please remove space between last N A) url: akvarista.cz/web/clanky/index.php3?clanek=48&cn=Sladkovodn%ED+krevety+%96+Caridina+a+Neocaridin a

the first two pics. Is that babaulti? will it crossbread with green?

btw:Why cant I add url to post?

degrezki
27th Oct 2005, 05:55 PM
Hi Guys,
I actually got myself some of the babaultis shown in the link. When under stress, they are blueish, othertime brown, red, green and every colour between. I doubt, that they will crossbreed with green babaultis because of the very small eggsize. The eggs are the same size as C. japonicas`. I can`t say anything about the number of larval stages yet.

Finally a very interesting shrimp.
Greets, Benno

gr81
27th Oct 2005, 07:58 PM
Babaulties have larval stage? I thought they have fully developed babies, no larva.