PDA

View Full Version : Are these safe tankmates for baby shrimp?

fatboy
23rd Oct 2005, 04:22 AM
I need to dismantle one of my tanks because I need to space. :(

There's a few of the creatures I would like to keep. I would add these to my 25 gallon tank that has 4 aeglas and lots of cherry red shrimp. I will only add them if they WON't eat baby shrimp or scare the shrimp into hiding.

Will any of these live happily with shrimplets?

- panda corydoras
- bristlenose catfish (3 inches long)
- African Dwarf Frogs

My thoughts are:
panda cory - won't eat shrimp but will make the shrimp nervous
bristlenose - fine
ADF- risky, will probably eat small shrimp

Any thoughts? Thanks. :)

cheesenips
24th Oct 2005, 02:43 AM
i losted my trust in keeping anything with shrimps ever since a eposide i had with some tetras awhile back. ADF are a big no if you want to breed the shrimps. im pretty sure bristlenoses are okay but keep in mind that adding an algae eater would give shrimps competion for food. Think of it this way, baby and juvi size shrimps are about the size of brine shrimps. So i guess anything that would ignore brine shrimps would be okay?

fatboy
24th Oct 2005, 10:58 PM
Good comparison, cheesenips. Thinking of the babies as baby brine shrimp makes it easier to see how vulnerable they are. I know the ADF and corys love brine shrimp so they're both out. The tank is big enough for the bristlnose but I've seen it jump on brine shrimp too (as well as live bloodworm). Oh well.

Huatzzzz
25th Oct 2005, 12:26 AM
I used to keep panda cory with my cherry and their shrimplets survived! Just ensure there is lots of hiding place for your shrimplets. But i agree with you that cory will make shrimp nervous so had remove them.

Walter
25th Oct 2005, 12:57 AM
Some dwarf cories are fine but their constant movement will stress shrimps. Bristlenose I assume is a pleco, character varies, some might attack shrimps. African clawed frog is a definite no no! Mine eats shrimps and small fishes! :shocked:

Generally shrimps are best to be kept only with their own species. :)