PDA

View Full Version : Riccia

NanoDave
22nd Oct 2005, 07:06 AM
I find that my riccia gets slowing plucked out from the mesh over time.. is there any way to work around this problem other than tying them again and again regulary? :)

retardo
22nd Oct 2005, 03:18 PM
short answer: nope.

long answer: Riccia initially is a great plant to play with, in terms of trying out different aquascapes and whatnot. Once you start trying to move it around or take it out of the tank altogether, it can be messy and a big pain to clean up. There really isn't any way to "tame" riccia since it doesn't attach to anything.

NanoDave
22nd Oct 2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks for your answers. Does that mean riccia cannot be fixed to grow in a place permanently? I did not move them around but over time as it grows longer and as shrimps sift through them they just start to come out although I didn't do anything.... :undecided

stcyrwm
23rd Oct 2005, 09:40 AM
Have you tried trimming it? Generally it comes loose because the bottoms rot from lack of light. If you trim it this should at least help prolong it's ability to stay in one place.

NanoDave
23rd Oct 2005, 05:01 PM
I didn't trim it because it has not grown to as thick as I would like it to.. but you got a point with the rotting part.. I think those that are under the mesh probably don't get enough light... :)

stcyrwm
23rd Oct 2005, 11:21 PM
I didn't trim it because it has not grown to as thick as I would like it to.. but you got a point with the rotting part.. I think those that are under the mesh probably don't get enough light... :)

How tall is it? Any chance that trimming would help it to grow thick instead of up? Other possibility is maybe it wasn't planted thick enough under mesh? Or maybe mesh isn't fine enough? Just some ideas. Mine grows pretty thick at 2 wpg no CO2.

retardo
24th Oct 2005, 02:14 PM
Does that mean riccia cannot be fixed to grow in a place permanently?

Yep.. aside from using netting or some other method to hold the riccia in place.

zip
30th Oct 2005, 01:48 AM
I find that my riccia gets slowing plucked out from the mesh over time.. is there any way to work around this problem other than tying them again and again regulary? :)

Well, over here in Taiwan, most of us would net it instead of tying it for attachment under water. We usually slot the riccia and the item which you want to hold it with together into a net.This perhaps might make it easier to hold the riccia instead of going round with string.and not to forget to tie a little knob to the end of the net.

Just for information...only la!

NanoDave
30th Oct 2005, 03:07 AM
Thanks zip, but I did use a net, and one with small holes too. :p

what happened was, when the riccia grew longer, they easily get plucked from the sides inwards to the center.. any solution for that?

By the way, its really nice of you to share the aquarium trends in Taiwan in your posts! :)

zip
30th Oct 2005, 03:37 AM
Thanks zip, but I did use a net, and one with small holes too. :p

what happened was, when the riccia grew longer, they easily get plucked from the sides inwards to the center.. any solution for that?

By the way, its really nice of you to share the aquarium trends in Taiwan in your posts! :)

hello!Nano :embarasse
I don't really get . ...the meaning of :get plucked from the sides inwards...
I guess one of the reason could be the lighting. If the lighting is really strong enough,the riccia wiil grow horizontally instead of moving vertically .I have this plant before. bt lately, found out that it was rather a "troublesome"plant in maintaining, so I trade it for some other kinds of plants with my friends here.CCC!

NanoDave
30th Oct 2005, 11:15 AM
hello!Nano :embarasse
I don't really get . ...the meaning of :get plucked from the sides inwards...
I guess one of the reason could be the lighting. If the lighting is really strong enough,the riccia wiil grow horizontally instead of moving vertically .I have this plant before. bt lately, found out that it was rather a "troublesome"plant in maintaining, so I trade it for some other kinds of plants with my friends here.CCC!

Hello! Zip! :P

I mean that the riccia at the sides of the patch of riccia come out.. so the patch becomes smaller and smaller over time...

I noticed that the riccia are indeed growing vertically instead of horizontally.. perhaps it is as you said, not enough light. :)