PDA

View Full Version : feeding bamboo shrimp

brad
22nd Oct 2005, 04:12 AM
Hhey everyone, I`ve been lurking for a little while and decided to join.

I have a newly aquired bamboo shrimp, and have a few questions.

I`ve read alot of places that people generally don`t feed them. I`d feel better if I offered at least the occasional feeding. I`m wondering what to feed. I can`t find invert food anywhere. I`ve been giving him some fry pellets (they`re tiny) but more get by him than to him given the current he likes to sit in.

I`ve tried giving him blood worms and mysis shrimp which my amanos love but he seems to not be interested. He tends to shake them off.

When I took him out of the bag, I placed him on a plant leaf in the current and a week later, he`s still on that same leaf. I must have picked a good one. :) He`s coloured up quite nicely showing beautiful red colouring so he must be happy.

Anyway, that`s it. Thanks for any info you can offer.
Brad

silane
23rd Oct 2005, 01:44 AM
Welcome brad,

Bamboo Shrimps are filter feeder, they gather their food using "fan". They like to wait near filter or places that have gentle current, feeding on algae and other microorganisms in the water.

Limit the number of bamboo shrimp in a tank, so that they can have enough microorganisms as food, to supplement you can use Liquidfry I and maybe II to feed them.

Walter
25th Oct 2005, 01:05 AM
I think I seen cases of them eating bloodworms, maybe yours isn't used to worms. As long your tank is a shrimp-only tank with a considerable amount of plants and not overstocked with bamboo shrimps, they should have sufficient food. :)

brad
25th Oct 2005, 01:11 AM
not a shrimp only tank.

It`s a 33 gallon with a moderate fish load. I`d like only 2 of these along with a few amano shrimp.

Thanks for the tips