PDA

View Full Version : NO3 woes

sifreaks
26th Jul 2010, 11:06 PM
hi guys, would like to seek ur advice in NO3. i'm currently cycling my new 2 feet set-up. it's been 2 mths now and e NO3 still remain @ 10ppm. previously been doing large H2O changed of 80-90% for e past 6 times as e NO3 spotted @ 10ppm. subsequently have changed my H2O changed routine(twice now) to only 20%.
just did e H2O test and e NO3 still showed 10ppm.
ammonia is 0ppm & NO2 is 0ppm.
i'm using ada amazonia 1.
shall i just introduce e high grade crs & bds now or shall i wait till NO3 drop to 0ppm?
do u guys have any suggestion to eliminate e nitrate?
thanx.

seetharam
27th Jul 2010, 12:14 AM
What plants do you have in your tank and what amount? 0 Ammonia and Excess Nitrates could indicate that you have a healthy biological filteration happening in your tank , but the there are not enough plants to absorb the nitrates that is produced. Use some floating plants or stem plants in the tank , these absorb nitrates very fast and you should see a difference in a 3-4 days time.

sifreaks
28th Jul 2010, 11:10 AM
hi seetharam, thanx for ur valuable inputs. currently i'm having some hornwot & amazonia frogbits to assist in e absorbing of NO3 my t5(24w x 2) lighting is running @ 8 hrs minimum. still it doesn't improve e NO3 level.
another issue i noticed is that e hairy roots of e frogbits seems like it's dying off.
btw i'm using ugf thus having stem(rooted) plants worries me.
i'm really lost now. don't know what else to do.=(

mordalphus
28th Jul 2010, 01:59 PM
What are you using to cycle the tank? Fish? Food? Pure ammonia? You may just be putting too much ammonia in.

shrimpsdotcoza
28th Jul 2010, 05:36 PM
have you tried testing your water or calibrating you test kit using RO or distilled water?

it might just be that your kit is out by 10ppm...

also my test kit says shake the second bottle of reagent for 30 seconds and then shake the test tube for 1 min, if i dont do that i get wild results...

seetharam
28th Jul 2010, 08:00 PM
Would you be able to post a picture of your tank, would like to see the density of plants in there.

Have you covered the entire base of the tank with UG Filter? Is there no open space somewhere where you can put some stem plants?

sifreaks
28th Jul 2010, 10:58 PM
hi, wat i added was basically ADA bacter ball, ocean free super battle bacteria(beneficial bacteria in concentrated liquid form) and if i remember correctly, i did add some dead crs in e initial stage of e cycle.
btw, if added too much ammonia, won't e ammonia test kit shows some reading?
thanx

sifreaks
28th Jul 2010, 11:02 PM
have you tried testing your water or calibrating you test kit using RO or distilled water?

it might just be that your kit is out by 10ppm...

also my test kit says shake the second bottle of reagent for 30 seconds and then shake the test tube for 1 min, if i dont do that i get wild results...

hi, are u referring to e API testkit? if yes i'm using it too. i've already followed as per instruction.
anyway thanx for highlighting about e distilled water. how come that never cross my mind. hmmm. will try to test out e test kit with e distilled water and will see e result.
thanx.

sifreaks
28th Jul 2010, 11:18 PM
Would you be able to post a picture of your tank, would like to see the density of plants in there.

Have you covered the entire base of the tank with UG Filter? Is there no open space somewhere where you can put some stem plants?

hi Ram, thanx once again for responding. will try to get e photos up if time circumstances permits.
e ugf mainly covered slightly more than a quater of e tank base starting from e rear. therefore e front portion of e tank base is not covered.
i might consider some rooted plants like glosso if things doesn't improve or maybe u have a better option of plants to recommend but pls no tall plants as i do not wish e plants to block my view from e front of e tank.
thanx.

seetharam
29th Jul 2010, 12:46 AM
Ok , I understand the issue now with the UG filter.

I strongly suspect the high Ammonia Content of Amazonia I is the culprit , You adding Bacter 100 and additional bacteria in there has got you a very effective Biological Cycle Happening and they have enough ammonia to feed on and convert to Nitrates , But there are not enough plants to absorb the amount of Nitrates Produced. Now here is the problem, Amazonia I will continue to leech ammonia through its life and die slowly after a 8 - 12 month period. So the only alternate i see to this problem is adding as much plants as possible, Add as much moss and other plants like Anubias, Ferns which do not need to be rooted in the substrate and add loads of floating plants.

sifreaks
29th Jul 2010, 05:11 PM
Ok , I understand the issue now with the UG filter.

I strongly suspect the high Ammonia Content of Amazonia I is the culprit , You adding Bacter 100 and additional bacteria in there has got you a very effective Biological Cycle Happening and they have enough ammonia to feed on and convert to Nitrates , But there are not enough plants to absorb the amount of Nitrates Produced. Now here is the problem, Amazonia I will continue to leech ammonia through its life and die slowly after a 8 - 12 month period. So the only alternate i see to this problem is adding as much plants as possible, Add as much moss and other plants like Anubias, Ferns which do not need to be rooted in the substrate and add loads of floating plants.

hi Ram, thanx for e great inputs bro. i've plenty of moss in my current tank which is currently housing e crs/bds.
u think it's ok to transfer all e shrimps to my new set-up, given e current water parameter?
btw, i noticed some kind of worm look a like in my tank today. it's white in colour and in very thin and tiny form. any idea what are they? is it harmful to e shrimps? thought of getting some endlers to eliminate them as they are kind of eye sore to look at.
thanx