PDA

View Full Version : moving to new tank

lennyoides
21st Oct 2005, 11:53 AM
Hi
I have a few select RCS that I want to catch and move to another tank. I'm not sure how to do it. It's a 10gal heavely planted tank and I'd like to do it without ripping up plants and disturbing all the shrimp. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Lenny :undecided :undecided :undecided

Santos_Esther_17
21st Oct 2005, 04:09 PM
Yeterday i did that and move some of my shrimp to another tank but only half survive. Really regret what i had done :( :( :(

GunmetalBlue
22nd Oct 2005, 04:47 AM
Hi Lenny, firstly, make sure water temp and water parameters are about the same in both tanks, especially things like pH. Although all my tanks are about the same, I'll usually mix a little bit of the water between the tanks.

Of course you don't have to do it this way, but here's how I move shrimp:

1.) A favorite utensil of mine is the clear plastic measuring cup with a handle - I have them in several sizes reserved for tank use only. I mean I use them for EVERYTHING - water changes, etc.

2.) I have my measuring cup and net ready. When I see the shrimp I want to move, I very gently move the net near the shrimp. The shrimp will usually be curious and cling on to the net.

3.) My other hand with the measuring cup gets dipped into the water, and I put the net with the shrimp in it. In other words, the shrimp never actually leaves the water.

4.) I gently coax the shrimp to let go the net, then remove the net.

5.) I take the cup with the shrimp to the intended tank and use the net to "scoop drip" some water into the cup (it goes slow, which is good because the net doesn't actually hold water). If I need more time for it to sit, the cup handle conveniently hooks over the rim of the tank with the cup partially in the tank (make sure the water level in the cup isn't too high, to make sure the shrimp can't jump out).

6.) When I feel confident of the acclimation, I start lowering the rim of the cup and let some water in. Finally, I completely submerge the cup and let the shrimp go into the intended tank. How long you take really depends on how different the two tank's water are.

I recently moved over 100 shrimp this way - all survived. Biggest factor I think is that all the tanks have about the same water parameters, so there's not much of a shock. Oh, I should mention when I moved this many, I caught them in groups, not one by one! But it was time-consuming nevertheless. :sweatdrop

Your concern seems to be not to rip up the plants - if the intended shrimp seems to not come out, try catching him/her during feeding time - have the wafer sitting where there's a clearing in the tank. Otherwise, just wait until the shrimp you're trying to catch is out and about. Good luck! :)

-GB

lennyoides
22nd Oct 2005, 08:01 AM
Thanks GB, nice to hear from you again. They're right when they say they breed like roaches. It's really fun to watch them growing up. There are about 50+ juve's all different sizes. I keep forgeting how small they are when their born.

Happy Shrimping
Lenny

lennyoides
6th Nov 2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the info GB! I checked my water parimetes and both tanks where right on. I took one of my nets and put a couple of small algae wafers in it and let it sit for about 20 minutes. The net was loaded with everything from tiny babies to 1/2" juvi's. I layed the net across the their new home, a 40 gal heavely planted tank, for about another 20 minutes to see if everyone looked ok, and they did, so I let them all out of the net. That was three days ago. Tonight when I checked the tank the front area was full of all the different sizes swimming around and checking everything out, and in the back on a large piece of driftwood I saw that three adult females that I put in last week were all carring eggs. Again you were right they breed like roaches. :rolleyes:

My LFS is getting me a dozen BumbleBee shrimp next week. I have a new 10gal to put them in which has been cycling for about 3 weeks. I make 20%water changes every other day with water from my other tanks. All the tests seem fine. We'll find out next week. Can't wait. I'll let you know how it goes.:anxious:

Lenny

GunmetalBlue
7th Nov 2005, 12:12 PM
Hi Lenny, glad to hear the move went well. And it sounds like you are soon to be overrun with Cherries! Yup, they do that... lol

Looking forward to hearing about your Bumblebees - hope they come in in good shape. It's a lot of stress for them to travel half the world then be at the mercy of our tanks, though we make our best efforts. So here's wishing they settle in nicely and do well. Also looking forward to seeing what kind of patterns yours will have. :)

-GB