PDA

View Full Version : GH (calcium/magnesium ratio)

enzo73
4th Jul 2010, 03:58 PM
Hello everyone, my question
we always talk about GH but what do you think is the proper relationship between calcium and magnesium for CRS?
Thanks

imke_j
4th Jul 2010, 08:47 PM
Here is a table on this:
http://www.aquacare.de/info/tipps/d1haert.htm#Umrechnungsfaktoren

enzo73
4th Jul 2010, 10:10 PM
Thank you Imke, very interesting site but have not found what is the relationship between calcium and magnesium in freshwater

imke_j
4th Jul 2010, 10:13 PM
Ah, I see: You wanted to know how much Calcium and how much Magnesium CR need?

enzo73
4th Jul 2010, 10:33 PM
Yes imke, I know how much calcium and magnesium needs for the CR,
because GH is the total calcium + magnesium but not a single quantity.
Sorry for my english:)

imke_j
4th Jul 2010, 10:41 PM
But if you look at the first row in this table, you can see that 1 GH is done by a proportion of:

7.118 mg Ca/L
10.00 mg CaO/L
4.317 mg Mg/L
7.158 mg MgO/L

Can't you use this percentages to adjust your water for CR? Or do you think it might be better to use more Magnesium then Calcium?

enzo73
5th Jul 2010, 12:20 AM
Ok, is clear but I understand the relation between calcium and magnesium for CR.
For example i can have GH6 with 42.7mg/lt of calcium (only calcium) or 25.902mg/lt of magnesium (only magnesium).
What is the proper balance between the two elements (calcium and magnesium)?

For example:
Calcium : magnesium
1:1
4:1
6:1

Thanks

retardo
5th Jul 2010, 07:14 AM
As long as there is Ca and Mg in the water column, I think you should be fine. I'm not sure that there is an optimum Ca to Mg ratio; I don't think anyone laymen or otherwise, have done any extensive testing of ratios of these two elements. Of the two, CRS (and other shrimp) will use more of the Ca as this is a primary part of their exoskeletons. Target a minimum GH of 3.

Alfa Shrimps
6th Jul 2010, 08:18 AM
Hello.
The proper ratio Ca-Mg is 3:1
Regards.

retardo
6th Jul 2010, 09:44 AM
Hello.
The proper ratio Ca-Mg is 3:1
Regards.

Can you talk a little about how you arrived at this ratio?

beeshrimp_austria
7th Jul 2010, 05:13 PM
Hi!

A few month ago i talked about calcium and magnesium in freshwater with a friend, who ist microbiologist. he looked up informations in books an scientific papers an found an average ratio for calcium and magnesium in between 3:1 and 4:1 in freshwater.

regards markus

retardo
7th Jul 2010, 07:05 PM
Hi!

A few month ago i talked about calcium and magnesium in freshwater with a friend, who ist microbiologist. he looked up informations in books an scientific papers an found an average ratio for calcium and magnesium in between 3:1 and 4:1 in freshwater.

regards markus

Interesting. This is the approximate ratio for Seachem Equilibrium and Barr's GH Booster (generic Equilibrium minus Fe). :) I'm guessing there might certainly be a scientific basis for this.

MananaP
7th Jul 2010, 08:46 PM
Interesting. This is the approximate ratio for Seachem Equilibrium and Barr's GH Booster (generic Equilibrium minus Fe). :) I'm guessing there might certainly be a scientific basis for this.

Me and fellow shrimp keeper tried bars GH Booster and Seachem Equilibrium and both work well with crs. As you mentioned a minimum of 3GH is still my standard every water change. ;)

escape
14th May 2012, 10:59 PM
Hi Mananap....just found this thread...can you advise on your preferred GH booster used ? Do the other elemnets of potassiumetc.....in Seachem Equilibrium, effect CRS in any negative way ? Thank you

MananaP
15th May 2012, 03:33 AM
Hi Mananap....just found this thread...can you advise on your preferred GH booster used ? Do the other elemnets of potassiumetc.....in Seachem Equilibrium, effect CRS in any negative way ? Thank you

Me and a close friend of mine talked about this a year or so ago, don't get me wrong but cichlid conditioner was used by my other buddy for a long time with no ill effect in crs and this contains potassium & also i have used it for many years. GH booster I prefer on using however is mosura mineral plus as i know i'm not scientist and this is the product i have also used for years without any problems.

Maybe another person with more science back round could elaborate more about what is the pros and cons of potassium in conjunction with cal/mag.

escape
16th May 2012, 03:02 PM
Is there a suggestered/preferred Ca ppm for CRS/Taiwan shrimps ? If GH - 4, Ca - ? & Mg - ? ... Thanks