PDA

View Full Version : Red Root Floater

silane
18th Oct 2005, 02:02 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know how to make red root floater, Phyllanthus fluitans grow red leaves?

retardo
18th Oct 2005, 02:05 PM
food coloring? lol :D :joking:

Honestly, I have no idea, but I have noticed that plants that have reddish coloration (e.g., didiplis diandra, aka, red/blood stargrass) tends to turn red the closer they get to the light source. Being as phyllanthus fluitans is already floating at the top, I can't say for sure, but my guess would be the intensity and spectrum of the light.

How many wpg do you have in the tank where the phyllanthus resides?

simcb
18th Oct 2005, 02:58 PM
i know red plants need iron if not it will turn green

silane
18th Oct 2005, 06:57 PM
I just got a 36W for 2 feet tank.

I was expecting a red plant, but it look like more or less frogbit. Just spoken to the person who gave me the plant, to make them red, a 2 feet tank will need 72W ! I think is to sun burn them. :D

NanoDave
19th Oct 2005, 03:35 AM
Maybe it has something to do with the climate? Like how deciduous plants turn red in autumm? :)

amber2461
21st Oct 2005, 12:19 PM
I have 4 tiny leaves floating in my 10 gallon tank with 2.8 wpg in it. The roots are turning red very nicely but it grows quite slow, I have CO2 in that tank as well.

Once it grow more, then I will put it in a non CO2 tank to see how it will grow. Will keep you posted on this one.

Cheers
:)

stcyrwm
22nd Oct 2005, 01:28 PM
I have 4 tiny leaves floating in my 10 gallon tank with 2.8 wpg in it. The roots are turning red very nicely but it grows quite slow, I have CO2 in that tank as well.

Once it grow more, then I will put it in a non CO2 tank to see how it will grow. Will keep you posted on this one.

Cheers
:)

It grows fine without CO2. It's leaves are exposed to the air anyway so I don't think CO2 is an issue for these types of floaters. It's more like growing something emersed. My leaves only get pink around the edges when they first grow in. Roots stay pretty red color. Mine grows very fast. I have to constantly pull it out or it'll shade everything out.

star88
24th Oct 2005, 10:33 PM
Hi,

Does anyone knows if this plant,roots and stem are also red in colour and i had a hard time turning the leaves red. Does it also need high amount of lightning and iron? Any idea what plant is this? :huh:

Sorry if picture is too small,dun know how to re-size it :(

zip
30th Oct 2005, 01:59 AM
Hi,

Does anyone knows if this plant,roots and stem are also red in colour and i had a hard time turning the leaves red. Does it also need high amount of lightning and iron? Any idea what plant is this? :huh:

Sorry if picture is too small,dun know how to re-size it :(

As for my little understanding, most of the plants need:
1)high and well penetration with around 3000k light beam.
2)sufficient iron and other elements too.
3)soft water with lower PH
So, maybe you can check out these things to the condition of your tank,
probably it works.