PDA

View Full Version : snowball shrimp,cherry shrimp, green shrimp

snakeskin
11th Oct 2005, 02:34 AM
Can anyone tell me if these three shrimp can cross breed? On another forum a member stated that he noticed all neocardinia species interbred, and snowball and cherry shrimp both belong to this species. will the green shrimp interbreed with any of these two species. I hope to keep all three kinds together in my 75 gallon planted tank.

Robert
11th Oct 2005, 05:53 AM
Hi,
I don't know exactly which shrimp you mean with "snowball shrimp". Can you please show us at least a pciture of this shrimp?

There is a chance that shrimp species of the same genus cross breed but they don't have to in all cases. It never happened to me for example, so you can't predict it.

To keep Neocaridina and Caridina species together is no problem because morphology difference don't let them crossbreed. So you can keep at least the cherry shrimps and the green shrimps without a risk. Regarding the "snowball shrimp" I can't help you because I know no shrimp species with this name. I know a "snowflake shrimp" (in German "Schneeflöckchengarnele") but that is a small Macrobrachium species.

regards
Robert

zwergkrebs
11th Oct 2005, 05:55 AM
Hi Robert,

in America and most other parts of the world our "white pearl shrimp" is called snowball shrimp.

snakeskin
12th Oct 2005, 07:14 AM
Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis "white" is the species I was refering to

silane
13th Oct 2005, 03:52 AM
This is the one:
http://www.shrimpnow.com/mygallery/files/3/6/white_oearl.jpg

nano
13th Oct 2005, 09:00 AM
This is the one:
far out! anyone knows if this is available in malaysia or not?

zwergkrebs
13th Oct 2005, 08:09 PM
I do not think so. The white morph was bred in Germany. Here they are quite common by now. As they are easy to breed.

silane
13th Oct 2005, 10:56 PM
far out! anyone knows if this is available in malaysia or not?

Not that I know off. But I know someone is importing to Singapore, soon, it will reach Malaysia since zwergkrebs said they breed easily.

zwergkrebs, what are the water conditions for them? Do they breed pure white?

dom
14th Oct 2005, 10:10 AM
i cant wait to have them.

ice-cream
14th Oct 2005, 07:55 PM
Not that I know off. But I know someone is importing to Singapore, soon, it will reach Malaysia since zwergkrebs said they breed easily.

zwergkrebs, what are the water conditions for them? Do they breed pure white?
Wow, thats great, i am also waiting to get my hands on these shrimps! Anybody selling please let me know. :D

Walter
15th Oct 2005, 10:58 AM
This is the one:

Very beautiful shrimp there. :D

Nelson
17th Oct 2005, 05:34 PM
Hi, zwergkrebs or Robert can you send me some???

Robert
17th Oct 2005, 10:57 PM
Hi,
I don't keep this species.

To send shrimps around the world is a problem. They aren't good travelers. To send them with normal parcel serices is very expensive and would take too long. It's better to let you help by friends e.g. pilots, stewards etc.. Even then it takes about 3 days for the shrimps from tank to tank and this is a long time for them. I lost about 70% of my from Singapore imported shrimps during the transportation.

Olá Nelson, Portugal is not that far away but to send a small packet via express airmail also takes at least 2-3 days and costs a lot here in Germany. Such a small packet (till 2Kg) costs with DHL for example 24,80€. And in the moment it is no good idea because of the low temperatures (in my region we have freeze at night). Best would be to find somebody who will bring the shrimps to Portugal himself.

Té mais
Robert

Nelson
18th Oct 2005, 05:54 PM
I know that the costs are high but here in Portugal, we just caridina japonica, red cherry and wood, not much :undecided
I don't know anybody who comes to germany, dont you have msn so we could talk? send me a email with yours msn adress if you have it