PDA

View Full Version : best tankmate for shrimp?

jon
10th Oct 2005, 03:29 PM
hi all bros,
wat are the best tank mates for shrimps?
me new with shrimps, wish to setup a tank for shrimps in planted tank, so pls advise wat is the best tank mate for them ... fishes? wat kind ? will fishes eat the shrimps when they breed?
any suggestion welcome.

imi_sky
10th Oct 2005, 03:33 PM
snails are good complany to shrimps in my opinion, they clean the glass in a way and keep the dead leaves from making the water bad by eating it.

Robert
10th Oct 2005, 06:39 PM
Hi,
good tank mates for shrimps are small peaceful fishes and of course snails. Tetras are often not peaceful and I would keep only swarf pencil fishes with them. Other good tank mates are Rasbora hengeli and R. espei, Corydoras pygmaeus and C. hastatus, Aspidoras pauciradiatus, threadfin rainbow fish (Iritherina werneri), Ototinclus and Hisonotus species, guppies and endlers, to name just a few of them. In my gallery you can find pictures of the mentioned species. BTW, bettas can be good tank mates but it depends on the individual itself, so be careful.

regards
Robert

amidala
10th Oct 2005, 08:20 PM
I keep my shrimps with Boraras brigittae and Otocinclus affinis - they're peaceful and do not bother shrimplets at all.

In general, if you keep small fish with small mouths (or bottom feeders like pygmy corydoras) they should be shrimp-safe. :)

Hope this helps!

jon
11th Oct 2005, 09:28 AM
thanks to all bros,
that does help alot. :)
i am worry to introduce fishes which will later endanger the shrimplets :shocked:
bros can post some pic of Boraras brigittae ,thanks

Symbiot
25th Nov 2005, 06:17 PM
Guppy's.. wouldn't they eat the shrimplets?
I'm considering Phalloceros caudimaculatus reticulatus as a tankmate... for planaria control ... but I wanna make sure that the fish dont eat the shrimplets...

shaman
25th Nov 2005, 07:02 PM
I have kept Boraras with my shrimps. They do eat shrimp larvae. But not sure about shrimplets. If you want higher chance of shrimplet survival, its good not to intro fish

silane
25th Nov 2005, 07:52 PM
Snails, IMO, are the best tankmates, they eat algae on glass, take oevr my job. :)

NanoDave
25th Nov 2005, 08:13 PM
I have Boraras, they do a good job eating the free floating white worms.. unfortunately they don't touch planaria.. :(

simcb
25th Nov 2005, 10:20 PM
So far i never seen any fish eats a "real" planaria there are some look alike white slugs which the boraras will eat. The only cure for planaria is proper tank maintenance, try not to introduce new plants too frequently. This planaria things are spreading the LFS like bird flu :rolleyes: , so quarantine them before adding any new stuff to your main tank.

slacker04
26th Nov 2005, 01:07 AM
Snails, IMO, are the best tankmates, they eat algae on glass, take oevr my job. :)

Agreed...snails sure do make good tank mates jus that some species tend to reproduce uncontrollably turning them into pests...haha lol

kross
26th Nov 2005, 11:00 AM
Best shrimp tankmate? It has to be "nice" looking snails. :D
All my shrimp tanks has "bumble bee horn snail"..... lol
It's a pity they don't multiply at all..... :rolleyes: