PDA

View Full Version : plants in general

lordofthesea
4th Jun 2010, 03:39 AM
how can i know if plants are safe for my inverts?

if not, how can i ensure they are safe? I've tried soaking and washing them over several days and it didn't work - almost a disaster.

where can i get safe plants in the uk?

what plants will shrimp and snails not eat?i'd love some bushy moss, but the only plant i have in there are some leafy rather unpleasant plants that oil up the water and get eaten at the stalks in about a day by snails then float at the surface for several weeks.

Mitch
4th Jun 2010, 03:43 AM
how can i know if plants are safe for my inverts?

if not, how can i ensure they are safe? I've tried soaking and washing them over several days and it didn't work - almost a disaster.

where can i get safe plants in the uk?

what plants will shrimp and snails not eat?i'd love some bushy moss, but the only plant i have in there are some leafy rather unpleasant plants that oil up the water and get eaten at the stalks in about a day by snails then float at the surface for several weeks.

Sounds like the plants you have aren't aquatic. Generally most aquatic plants are safe, but some say crypts and anubias can be harmful to shrimps.

lordofthesea
4th Jun 2010, 03:46 AM
no, they're definately aquatic - they grow in my other tank and i take them from there. but the trouble is the plants that have copper fertilisers and snail killers on them.

retardo
4th Jun 2010, 05:38 AM
The best source of plants are usually from other hobbyists that maintain planted tanks. The plants you get from them are generally healthier and you don't have to worry about chemicals being used to treat for snails and/or algae. If your fear is that chemicals will kill your shrimp, don't use them, or at the very least, allow it to sit for a few days in a quarantine tank and change the water as frequently as you deem necessary for most or all of the chemicals to be diluted and pose no harm to your shrimp.

In general, shrimp and snails do not nibble on or eat live healthy plants, only those that are dying/in decay. The jaws/teeth of snails are not strong enough to break through live vegetation, which is why they are considered bottom feeders. There are some snails (i.e., spixi snails) that will eat live plants, so those are the ones you will want to avoid. With regard to the snails/shrimp eating the stalks of the stems, it is probably decaying due to either a nutrient or light deficiency. Get the right amount of nutrients and/or light combination and you should have healthy plants that the snails/shrimp can't gnaw through. There are certain plants that will start to die if not given the right amount of light or are shaded by something else. Just something to consider.

The oily residue is likely to be some kind of biological film from decaying organic materials. The best ways to get rid of the unsightly film is to create a lot of surface agitation or to install some kind of surface skimmer attached to a canister (wont' work with any other types of filters).

lordofthesea
4th Jun 2010, 03:17 PM
well that's certainly thorough! thanks!

is there a for sale part on this forum to buy plants etc?

Kosmos
4th Jun 2010, 03:23 PM
The oily residue is likely to be some kind of biological film from decaying organic materials. The best ways to get rid of the unsightly film is to create a lot of surface agitation or to install some kind of surface skimmer attached to a canister (wont' work with any other types of filters).

Another way is to add a airstone close to the surface and turn it all the way up. Put a glass cover over the tank. When the bubbles reach the surface and pop the oily residue will "pop up" with the bubble and stick to the glass cover. You just wipe it clean.

It is however always better to find the source rather than deal with the results.

paid2
4th Jun 2010, 10:04 PM
You should be able to get plants local to you in aquatic shops, many now stock a great amount of plants, and all can order in what you want.

It im in the uk, and have no problems getting healthy plant. I'm wondering how you tried to clean your plants before placing in the shrimp tanks.

Plants are quite tender and can be affected by temp change and water conditions too, so if you go from warm to cold ect, you will damage them, and as has been said, snails normally eat damaged plants.

Damaged, and roughly treated plants will leech saps into the water table, so this could be the source of your oily surface.

Are you using an air stone?

lordofthesea
5th Jun 2010, 08:05 PM
no airstone.

these plants thrive in my other tank and i've seen the snails eating them.