PDA

View Full Version : Blonde:Blue ratio

RoryM
2nd Jun 2010, 12:55 PM
So after posting in killer007's thread I decided to go take a peak at my OE's and found a berried one. Thing is it's my only breeding size blonde shrimp that I have and I only have 2 blondes. LOL. So since 8 out of the 10 are blue, Any idea as to the ratio of blonde versus blue I may end up with in a few weeks?

imke_j
2nd Jun 2010, 02:15 PM
It depends on the genes. Good Blue Tiger strains have only few less blue offspring. So one cannot say for sure how this works out for you. Shrimp keepers having big groups of Blue Tiger select very strict. If you start with a new, smaller group, you target should be a big group (60-110 pieces) from which you pick the best for further developement.

NeyaNey
5th Jun 2010, 09:45 PM
I think it depends as above poster said
I purchased a small group of equal amounts of blonde/blue at small size.
All turned blue into adulthood (medium to black) and now I have maybe 30-50 babies I'm rearing for future breeding.
When born they all look like blondes(normal tigers with orange eyes) but the largest group has so far all turned light to dark blue. So it will be interesting as my group (so far) isn't producing adult blondes (or the blondes arent surviving the journey to adulthood)

once I get a decent sized group of blue breeders I will begin selling some.

RoryM
6th Jun 2010, 02:26 AM
Turned lights on this morning to see two more are berried and they are full on blue. Do the females give off pheromones even after they have saddled up? Cause the males are still chasing the females even after having a full saddle full of eggs.

jbjack
6th Jun 2010, 05:08 AM
awesome to hear you orange eye blues are breeding, lucky you know some one who had some to sell you.:joking:

congo1040
30th Jul 2010, 12:05 PM
I've also started a O. Eye Blue Tiger project. A very active Shrimp.

janftica
15th Aug 2010, 09:28 PM
Hi Rory Congrats on the OEBT getting berried...I have a tank full of about 30+ babies and several females still berried right now. I notice they like to hang on the front part of my tank where there is algae growing on the glass, so they must be eating that. I have noticed that a lot are already blue even at this very young/tiny age.

I also am doing experiments right now, took all the very darkest blue oebt's and put them in a separate tank together, several females now berried. Want to see how many darker blues come out of that tank as opposed to the other tank which has both blue and blondes in it.
Also put a dark blue male OEBT into my super tiger tank, and have now at least one dark blue dark eyed tiger in there, so the blue hue does reproduce. I have one very unique red tiger in the same tank, and am hoping that it will reproduce some of the red stripes too.

I must say these OEBT's are VERY active shrimps....males are still buzzing around my tank right now, so maybe some of the females that dispatched their young are fertile again. Its really nice that you now have them breeding. Anna

tutusik
16th Aug 2010, 03:04 AM
I agree to your opinions :) I have 30l tank with BT0 OE and they are still producting babies :d

RoryM
16th Aug 2010, 03:38 AM
Yes they are VERY active shrimp compared to my cherry, snowball or crs. Not skittish either, I can put the tweezers in the tank and even push them away from food and they immediatly try to get back on the food.

Plecofool
9th Nov 2010, 07:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_trait_locus

Eventually they will be completely blue if not black.

Completely depends upon what you select for of course.

Think of a fish that hunts things on black substrate.

It will constantly eat the blondes because that is what it can see in that environment.

Generation after generation of only the darkest of dark shrimps surviving will make them breed true.

Until a flood comes and makes all the substrate a red color. Then a feeding frenzy occurs and only the best adapted shrimp will survive.

Sorry about all this nonsense. This is my 15th post so I can now post pictures!