PDA

View Full Version : Alamak! My shrimps mass suicide!

shaman
8th Oct 2005, 10:31 AM
I not sure if I overdose Mallick's liquid fertilizer?
I poured 1 cap (5 ml) of the fert into my 12 litre tank

And I put some new anubias into the tank.

Minutes later, a lot of shrimps jump out
and some just concussed and die

Could it be the new plant or the fert?

imi_sky
8th Oct 2005, 10:40 AM
5mls in a 12l, i put 5 mls into a 42l.. thast way too much in my opinion and i think thats the cause of it

shaman
8th Oct 2005, 10:45 AM
Sorry made a mistake. i put 2 ml only

imi_sky
8th Oct 2005, 11:30 AM
for a tank so small, i would add only a few drops, for my 11L nano tank, i only put in 5drops thats just over half of 1ml and it does good. but of course i dont use the same fert as you, i would take the giving req. in the back for like a 20gallon tank and make it just right for your 12l (which is just over 3 US gallons)

silane
8th Oct 2005, 01:36 PM
shaman, where is the source anubias? Pesticide could be used by plant farmer.

Walter
8th Oct 2005, 05:21 PM
I believe the fertilizer dose is the problem. Do a water change immediately to dilute whatever chemical that is irritating the shrimps.

shaman
8th Oct 2005, 10:29 PM
I got from Teo farm
I tested again with a pail, then I put the anubias inside and 2 shrimp
the shrimp died

then i try again, one more shrimp died.

I suspect is pesticide

NanoDave
9th Oct 2005, 12:30 AM
There are people who thinks anubias nanas will leech toxin when they are injuried (ie such as when you break leave or roots)

jon
10th Oct 2005, 05:12 PM
thanks bro for the above info.
me almost think of getting nanas for my shrimps tank :shocked:
didn't know they are toxic to shrimps
regards

simcb
10th Oct 2005, 05:29 PM
Anbuis is suspected to leech toxins. But i suspect pesticide spray plants is also possible.

I ever bought a few stalks of hornwort and place it in my shrimp tank. Both shrimp tanks has almost immediate reaction, has wierd behaviour....swimming around endlessly darting and .....not the usual mating ritual. Looking similar to HDB fogging incident that killed my shrimps last time. Luckily i noticed it soon and threw them away what a waste of money but just to play safe.

shaman
10th Oct 2005, 09:39 PM
the fogging can kill shrimp?

retardo
11th Oct 2005, 10:08 AM
There is no direct proof that nanas leech chemicals that are toxic to shrimp. There are stories that this may be true. I keep both anubias nana and nana 'petite' in my shrimp tank with no casualties. Without knowing all the different water parameters and performing an autopsy on the shrimp, all the stories are, well, just stories/myth/rumor. The truth of the matter is that shrimpkeeping as a hobby is still in its infancy and we do not know enough about them to truly know cause of death, aside from perhaps extreme circumstances (e.g., putting a shrimp in a salt or brackish environment when their biotope in nature is clearly freshwater or overdosing on ferts).

thanks bro for the above info.
me almost think of getting nanas for my shrimps tank :shocked:
didn't know they are toxic to shrimps
regards

simcb
11th Oct 2005, 11:15 AM
If the white smoke gets into your home...i say it will.... unless your tank is airtight and not using a clip on fan. I lose a whole tank of total 20++ crs, diamonds and a few cherries(more hardy--many survived) that day. Nowdays i cover my tank with Mahjong Paper, when ever i see the fogging notice.

silane
11th Oct 2005, 11:57 AM

Read this:
http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55&highlight=fogging

dom
11th Oct 2005, 12:02 PM
Beside the overdose fertilizer and anubias nana. Have you check the temp or PH? Shrimp died might due to other reason. And what type of shrimp which died?

I have 2 pieces of shrimp breeding tank and 2 nano shrimp tank. Any shrimp i thrown inside the shrimp breeding tank. All survive and breeding like crazy. But, just Bee shrimp. I still don't have luck with keeping them.

I bought 20 pcs last 2 weeks. Thrown them inside my 2ft breeding tank. They just die one by one. And now...left 1 survive.

imi_sky
11th Oct 2005, 12:20 PM
I've heard bee shrimps to be more sensitive than crystal reds for some reason.