PDA

View Full Version : Are bottled spring water for water change okay?

SHadow79
23rd May 2010, 09:39 AM
Hello eveyrone,

I have a question, is it safe to do a 15% water change from bottled of spring water for a 5.5gal?

I've have tested the water parameters for the spring water.
They are:
GH=8 deg
KH=7 deg
PH=7.8
Nitrite=0

Thanks in advance

imke_j
23rd May 2010, 09:23 PM
It depends on the water parameter of your tank and on the purety of the spring water. If you can exclude that it has poisenous things like copper, high nitrate or other polluted parts from traffic you can use it. The spring water parameter should not differ (too much) from your tank parameter.

NeyaNey
27th May 2010, 10:48 PM
Usually spring water has higher values of gh and ph than shrimp prefer or keep them healthy. What are your reasonings for using such water? Poisons in your tap? Too hard water? It will help us to help you :)

A better idea is to use bottled distilled (good) or ro water(better) rodi(best)
but not straight!!!! Mix with dechlorinated tap or spring water till you get levels you're aiming for.

This is what many discus breeders do in the us when they're plagued with rock
hard water. If the new reconstituted water varies greatly from your tanks current water you will have to do the change slowly.

jm_
27th May 2010, 11:46 PM
I would use RO water only with extream low TDS say under 10, remember to DI the last stage

CrystalMethShrimp
11th Jun 2010, 09:32 AM
Get yourself a Brita water filter...6ph...perfect for crs thats what i use

NeyaNey
11th Jun 2010, 10:05 AM
FWIW to above posters.

Brita is a general sediment carbon filter. I'm not doubting it's capabilities but it wont make "perfect" water for everyone. A person using well water at 8ph and high hardness would have a brita spent very quickly an it wouldn't lower params much if at all except chlorine and slight lowering of TDS.

2. NEVER use pure ro or pure ro-di on ANYTHING ever. You must reconstitue ro/rodi water when it comes to aquaria. Drinking it is ok, it tastes great(although you are missing out on some minerals). But in aquaria you're talking 7.0ph or less with HUGE ph swing to come thanks to no KH. Also no GH so your shrimps will die when a molt comes.
You can easily reconstite ro-rodi with tap water creating a perfect mixture(takes some figuring out) to get close to the params you need. Or you can use chemical additives IF you need to avoid something from your tap(calcium source for GH, bi/carbonate for KH & PH)

killer007
11th Jun 2010, 11:25 AM
i think tap water in canada is okie...

RoryM
11th Jun 2010, 12:05 PM
Totally depends on your municupality, my water is very hard with high tds whereas water in vancouver right now is very acidic. Doing a little research on what is coming out of your taps could end up saving your inverts.

NeyaNey
11th Jun 2010, 09:18 PM
I agree
in the US I can lookup water quality reports for my city online.
It helps me understand my water better. Although they only do certain tests once a year or less maybe. Because city water can change drastically at any time (pipe flushes, dosing randomly for bacterial outbreaks, etc) it's IMO good practice to test your tap before a water change. Also I suggest using a dual dechlorinator (chlorine and chloramines) since usually cities don't announce when they're going to make the switch.

If you're treating for only chlorine and they switch to chloramines it will bind the chlorine an leave behind high ammonia levels.

If you live in an old house i also suggest testing tap for copper. Some houses in Boston(USA) have outrageous amounts.