PDA

View Full Version : CRS tank Parameters and Temperature

dtsuyuki
19th May 2010, 11:31 AM
Howdy!

I'm a NOOB...!! I've been doing some reading on CRS on a few different sites and I am very confused to what is the ideal parameters, temperatures, soft acidic waters to hard water, and breeding. Ugh... my head hurts trying to figure out which T, GH, KH, PH is the best for them, breeding, and food...(Mosura)? On some of the post, people are saying that the water needs to be a bit hard, and others are saying.. the water needs to be soft acidic. All I know is the higher the grade is, the more important that the water parameters are. I had kept grade A/S CRS before in about 72F and they seem to be fine until Dean accidentally left on the co2 a bit too high. I lost all of 15 CRS but I manage to save one. I will be getting a new shipment of 15 CRS and CBS mix grade from A/S to SS soon. So, I just want everything to be perfect and successful in raising a colony. I have a Fluval Edge that is planted with ADA AS and has been running for the past 6 months (will post pictures of it up by this week). I planned on keeping them in there for now, until I get my ADA 60-P running. Please, help me figure this out? I'm lost with all of this information. :undecided Thanks!

Best,

Tiffany

imke_j
19th May 2010, 01:23 PM
Hi Tiffany, here are my advises for setting up a CR tank - hope that helps you a bit :)

Providing best water quality is a must for breeding shrimps; and even more for breeding high grade CR. Be aware that everything you plan and do is focusing on this goal.

Tank size: It is possible to keep CR in a 10 gallon tank, but bigger tanks guarantee more stable water parameters. Thatís why most Japanese breeder chose tanks around 90 L (25 US Gallons). I agree that a tank should have at least 54 L (14 US Gallons). That provides a high level on safety; remember that bringing in the gravel reduces net water volume, too.

Gravel, soil and cycling: Choosing suitable gravel for your tank depends on the water you can access. CR shrimp like softer water with pH around 6.5-6.8, temperature 23 degree Celsius. Dealing with RO water is the best choice; but it is also possible to use active gravel (soil) to fix water parameters. If you have very hard tap water, you might come to ADA Amazonia II. Personally, I would choose a shrimp soil which has few active parts for plants. The cheapest product is Akadama bonsai gravel, then. KH can drop to zero but you should always monitor the dGH which should at least be 4 or 5. Take your time to fully cycle your new tank; 4 weeks is the minimum IMHO. Otherwise, biological processes are not fully developed or irregularly. Shrimplets will starve because the biofilm is too small. Reduce lightning to 6-8 hours/day in the first weeks to avoid algae growing. Read what the manufacturer recommends when using ADA or other brands.

Undergravel filter: Undergravel filter (UGF) work very well. Check out the capacity of your air pump, it should be strong enough to circulate the all water volume minimum twice per hour. Though the capacity depends also on the gravel height I would always buy a bigger pump and choke it when needed. I used to have a Sera 550R (550l/hour) for two 20L tanks with UGF. Almost every air pump makes a noise; this is why this set up is nothing for bedrooms /blog/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif Clean the gravel from time to time when your tank has been running for a couple of weeks. Too much mulm is not good. Gravel height should be 4-5cm. I do not use zeolith as first layer because one cannot remove it when leached.

Fauna and flora: A moss only tank is ideal for shrimps and their offspring. Java fern looks also very nice but anubias are said to harm shrimp sometimes when you cut leaves. Surrender to the guppies, too: They will attack shrimp and eat the offspring in a sparely planted tank.

Group size and feeding: You should start shrimp keeping with at least 10 shrimps; 20 are better anyway. Feed only a little and what shrimp can eat in two hours. Remove everything what has not been eaten until then. Overfeeding shrimps is a very common problem even for advanced keepers. So start feeding them every second day and put boiled (Indian almond) leaves into the tank. The shrimps will love it.

dtsuyuki
19th May 2010, 02:18 PM
Thank you so much!! Now, I have a better way of understanding this.. :D

Tiffany

SpeakToMeDK
19th May 2010, 07:54 PM
My experience has been that crystals like low or no KH water, but are quite tolerant of GH; I've kept and bred LOTS of them in up to GH12, but I think they prefer about GH 4-6. They are tolerant of TDS load.

HYUN007
3rd Aug 2010, 01:51 PM
what is the maximum temperature they can tolerate?

imke_j
3rd Aug 2010, 02:41 PM
what is the maximum temperature they can tolerate?
Do not keep constantly higher than 25 C. With good aeration, they can stand 27-29 C for a couple of days; but that's not what one should actually plan.