PDA

View Full Version : Help with maintaining low pH

xx123j
7th May 2010, 01:16 PM
So, I maintain a tank of tigers right now and I try to keep my pH around 6.5 but I constantly find that my pH is rising and hitting 7.4. The tank is 2.5 gallons and houses only 2 tigers. My substrate is suppose to be inert (Seachem Flourite), I have very few plants Anachris and Java moss, and I fill the tank with RO water conditioned to be 6.5 exactly. I also run a sponge filter, but so many other forum members do that and have no problems whatsoever with high pH.

What could be the problem?

imke_j
7th May 2010, 02:45 PM
Please have a look at this article (http://www.shrimpnow.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=73), where several methods of lowering the pH are mentioned. How are your GH and KH readings? Lowering the pH is done best by lowering the KH first, IMHO.

xx123j
7th May 2010, 11:18 PM
I'm going to read the article now. I use a mixture of RO and tap water to get a GH and KH of about 1-3.

Is that level of KH to high still?

Edit:

I just read the article. My problem is not to achieve a lower pH. But to maintain a stable one. After mixing RO water with my tap and conditioning it to the correct pH, how do I keep it at that level without adding buffers?

xx123j
9th May 2010, 01:46 AM
Anyone? Please I really need the help.

guppies
9th May 2010, 01:53 AM
The best way is using ADA aqua soil.

Summit MicroFarm
9th May 2010, 06:16 AM
I agree with guppies...

The "easiest" way is to use one of the pH fixing substrates like ADA or AZOO Plant Bed Grow etc...
:D

:alien:

igorKanshyn
9th May 2010, 06:49 AM
You can add some peat to the filter.

seiji64
9th May 2010, 09:41 AM
You can do a couple tests. Put some tap water in a glass and test the pH. Let it sit for a day or 2 and test it again. My tap goes from 7 out of the tap to 7.4 after a day. If your tap drifts up, let it sit a day before mixing with RO.

If your tap pH is stable, do the test again but this time with a handful of flourite in the glass to rule out your substrate changing your pH.

If neither of these turn up anything, I like all the suggestions already mentioned.
Doug

xx123j
10th May 2010, 03:49 AM
I wanted to avoid having to buy ADA AS but I suppose I will. Thanks for the input everyone!

guppies
10th May 2010, 08:45 AM
yea, to avoid all the headache just go with the proper substrate, it will act as a buffer and maintain a stable environment for the shrimps.

xx123j
11th May 2010, 06:15 AM
To my understanding ADA AS has some peat moss in it, but pictures indicate that the tank water is clear after the substrate has settled down for a week. Is this because charcoal, or other filter media, absorbs the tannins released by the peat and so the water is not a tea color? If so how does the aqua soil maintain the pH while the tannins, and tannic acids, are absorbed by the filter media and so are not present in the water column?

Is it possible to use peat moss to imitate what aquasoil does while keeping the water clear? It was my impression that this was not possible, which is why I stopped using peat.

aeolus
18th May 2010, 05:25 PM
I use ADA products to control PH easily. CO2 also can make your PH lower. But do not use much because CRS do not like CO2

Tn23
18th May 2010, 06:42 PM
How come CRS do not like co2?
Indian Almond leaf helps too right?

igorKanshyn
18th May 2010, 10:42 PM
How come CRS do not like co2?
Indian Almond leaf helps too right?

You need to add really a lot of CO2 to make them unhappy :) CO2 doesn't change TDS and this changes doesn't influence on fishes/shrimps a lot. CO2 injection doesn't remove oxygen from water. Moreover, it helps your plant produce more O2.

In order to see some significant pH drop you need need a lot of Indian Almond leafs. I didn't use them, but from I see in Internet, you need at least dozen of leaves in the small task to drop your pH visibly.

Peat under the gravel is a Canadian ADA Soil :)

eagle167
19th May 2010, 01:28 AM
yea, to avoid all the headache just go with the proper substrate, it will act as a buffer and maintain a stable environment for the shrimps.

The reason i will not use ADA soil of any kind is that it only last about 6 months before the pH starts to drift up again. This told to me by ADA Holland at a show.