PDA

View Full Version : Need help looking for a chiller for 20 gallon long

jczz1232
5th May 2010, 02:56 PM
I have a crs tank running for a bit. Would like my Crs to be happy for the summer. I was wondering if Coolworks Ice probe with hob would work or I need a better thing.

Thanks
JC

jczz1232
5th May 2010, 03:10 PM
I also saw 1/20 hp Nano Arctica Chiller and JBJ Mini Arctica 1/15 hp chiller.
Anyone have any experience of can help and give me a hand thanks.

JC

seiji64
6th May 2010, 03:47 AM
Hi JC,
I have an IceProbe on a 10g and it does a decent job of pulling the temps down on that smaller tank. Haven't tested it any further than a 4/5 degree drop though. If you only need to bring the temp down a few degrees for the 20g, it should do the trick. The fan runs all the time and kicks up to higher speed when the thermostat/controller turns the peltier on.

I also have a Current USA 1/15 HP mini-chiller on a 29g. It cools that tank down pretty effectively. It requires a decent pump - I use a Fluval 205. It has a built-in outlet for a heater (not included) that will only supply power to the outlet when your thermostat goes out of range (maybe 3 degrees below your set point?). The compressor is a bit noisy though. It sounds like a dorm fridge running, maybe a little louder. It runs for a few minutes at a time and can kick on every 10 minutes or so, depending on room temp. It's in my living room and is little distracting when watching TV. It also requires some space. The unit itself is a little smaller than a cubic foot, but they ask that you provide some open space around it for the heat it generates to dissipate.

Hope that helps some!
Doug

jczz1232
6th May 2010, 03:53 AM
Wondering if getting 2 IceProbe or just one unit maybe the JBJ Mini-Arctica Chiller w/ Digital Controller 1/15HP. thank for your help.

JC

seiji64
6th May 2010, 11:09 AM
In terms of cooling power, the JBJ will give you more bang for your buck. I read the JBJ is designed to cool tanks up to 40g. Do you already have a canister filter or pump?

According to the Ice Probe's manual, 2 of them can pull down the temps of a 20g from 6 to 8 degrees F.
http://www.novatecproducts.com/IPAC-50Manual10-28-03.pdf

Doug

jczz1232
6th May 2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your help, I just order the jbj 1/15hp one. Hope my crs will be happy with it and make me some extra shrimp-lets. They like temp on 72F right?

JC

jonathandowers
19th Apr 2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks for your help, I just order the jbj 1/15hp one. Hope my crs will be happy with it and make me some extra shrimp-lets. They like temp on 72F right?

JC

Jczz1232, any updates on the chiller? I'm thinking of picking up the same model for my 12g long. I'm finding this online for $300.

powerreef
19th Apr 2011, 09:19 AM
jonathan. JBJ is the choice. longest warantty on market. i have 1/3 for 65g........

jonathandowers
19th Apr 2011, 09:28 AM
jonathan. JBJ is the choice. longest warantty on market. i have 1/3 for 65g........

I was about to buy, until I saw the Aqua Euro USA 1/10 HP.

Hear anything about those units? Right now there's a great price on the 1/10 units for $275.