PDA

View Full Version : filter turnover and flow

bigpig
14th Apr 2010, 06:48 PM
I have a spare Eheim 2213 external filter turning over 440 litres and hour.
I was thinking of using it on one of my 40 litre CRS tanks. Would the flow be too strong?
I know that some planted tank owners go for ten times tank volume turn over per hour.
I would be using a spray bar across the surface of the water.
I really dont want to disturb my CRS.
I currently have a sponge filter in there, and have been having great success with breeding high grade CRS. I am really hoping to maximise the survival rate of the shrimplets.
Thanks for any advice.

monkey_wrench
18th Apr 2010, 04:03 PM
I think that it would be fine but if you're worried about the flow you can split the out-take into 2 tubes with a 'T' connection and place the out-takes on either side of the tank to spread the flow out more evenly OR you can cut a hole in a filter sponge like those found in internal filters and slip it on the end of the outake which dissipates the flow almost completely but barely affects the flow-rate PLUS it adds another site for bacteria colonization:)

dariuszk24
18th Apr 2010, 05:01 PM
i use eheim ecco 2233 with flow rate 480l/h in 50l tank.
after put on them spray bar ,prefilter on inlet ,biological media etc. its really exellent ,not to strong .

mlgt
26th Apr 2010, 06:43 PM
Thats interesting as I am looking for a new filter myself. Ive got a wave Niagra 300 in my current tank, but looking for something a little more beneficial for the shrimp.

So was looking into sponge filter instead.

paid2
26th Apr 2010, 06:47 PM
I can recommend the JBL sponge filters, which you can some times find in England.

mlgt
26th Apr 2010, 07:08 PM
JBl brand?? So I presume from Maidenhead Aquatics?

What about air pumps? which are you currently using?

paid2
26th Apr 2010, 09:00 PM
I wont be good advice on air pumps I'm afraid, I have tried 3 different ones to find a quiet one, and still no joy lol.

Thinking of installing it in the kitchen and running the air hose 4 meters to the front room too stop the BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

But i am using a large 2 pipe maxima to run 4 jbl sponge filters and an undergravel filter.

I use JBL TekAir's, and yes, I got mine in maidenhead aquatics woking (any jbl supplier can order them in for you)

mlgt
26th Apr 2010, 09:16 PM
I am using an old aquaone filter which is ok, does its job. But I would prefer the ebenfits of an external filter.

I havent tried a sponge filter before and the shrimp tank is in the living room so I would prefer something quiet.

Will have to have a double think about this now :(

paid2
26th Apr 2010, 09:40 PM
Have you looked at the hamburger mattenfilter method ? I also use that, with a slight change of placing an internal canister filter behind the mat. Much quieter, but does take up tank space. Very safe for shrimplets though.

mlgt
4th May 2010, 06:42 PM
No I havent. Ive read about it.
Is it as easy as it seems to set up?

Can you list what type of equipment I would require?