PDA

View Full Version : Informations about Pachymelania byronensis ?

Frank
29th Sep 2005, 04:58 AM
Hello,

I have got a new species lol . Itīs a first import to Germany.
Maybe anybody has some informations for me?
I only know that they come from Nigeria and can get up to 6cm large.

Many thanks for your help
Frank

Jane of Upton
9th Dec 2005, 07:57 AM
Wow, what a stunning snail!

Now there's ANOTHER thing on my "Desired" list that I know I won't see in the US for at least several years! Ugh!

Just teasing - I hope you find info, as well as info on breeding this dramatic snail. Is it a burrower like the Malaysian Trumpet Snails?

I see you're in Germany - I was going to mention that the German sites often have the latest information on new introductions to the Aquarium trade.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but gosh that's a pretty snail!
-Jane

amber2461
9th Dec 2005, 01:56 PM
Yes, gorgeous acquisitions you have there, thanks for sharing and posting the pictures.

Frank
9th Dec 2005, 07:19 PM
Many thanks for your answers about my monster-snails. :shocked:
Of course, they are looking hard and they are very big with 5-6 cm.
I cannot see any burrying. Maybe they need very fine sand for that, but i believe that they donīt burry at all. Itīs a freshwater species from (west)africa. These snails are not moving very much, only a few cm over night. I think they prefer darker places, under plants for example.

zwergkrebs
9th Dec 2005, 08:32 PM
Actually no freshwater, but a brackishwater species with marine larvae that tolerates freshwater to a certain degree. lol

Frank
11th Dec 2005, 04:49 PM
Sorry, but as far as i know itīs freshwater species. The species Pachymelania is in saltwater from 0 - 30%. Especially the byronensis is freshwater only. They are also too heavy and big to get over long distances in my opinion. So when they are in freshwater they will stay there. Maybe youīve heard from a different Pachymelania? There are some similar species.

zwergkrebs
11th Dec 2005, 05:46 PM
byronensis lives in mangrove (?) forests. Salinity varies. It cannot tolerate seawater quality, only brackish water. Does well in freshwater. But the larvae need brackish water to sea water with high salinity.

rain-
11th Dec 2005, 09:47 PM
I also have these snails, I received them from Germany on July and then they were sold as Pila spec., but after I did some digging, I found the Pachymelania genus and hinted the seller about it. I was so fascinated when I saw them the first time and it doesn't seem to fade.

Here's my beauties:
http://sademetsa.net/ts_sp.jpg

When I was searching for the right genus and species from the internet, I found this (http://diglib1.amnh.org/bulletins/congo/76_260_276.pdf):

"The genus Pachymelania is strictly West African, being found along the coast and on the islands of Upper and Lower Guinea, from Senegal to Angola. It prefers brackish water of rather high salinity and is often extremely abundant in the mangrove swamps and on the mud-flats within reach of the tide, in the lagoons and river estuaries, in company with certain species of Potamides. There appear to be only three distinct species: P. aurita (0. F. Muller), P.fusca (Gmelin), and P. byronensis (Wood)."

silane
11th Dec 2005, 10:06 PM
Do they eat algae?

Robert
11th Dec 2005, 11:55 PM
Hi,
also keep one specimen of the same species like in Frank's picture. It hides at day and it is mostly active at night. I couldn't see it eating algae yet. In my tank it seems to eat mainly deritus and fish food.

regards
Robert