PDA

View Full Version : best conditions for tylo - yellow rabitt snails

jbjack
14th Mar 2010, 10:25 AM
ph? hardness? temp? etc.......

cant find any of this info...... just picked some up, looking for people who successfully keep them, and breed them. thanks

paid2
14th Mar 2010, 05:13 PM
Sames as for Sulawesi shrimp. Theres plenty of info on those.
I've found temp to be the main factor, they are much happier at higher temps, 28/29/30C

tjudy
15th Mar 2010, 04:00 AM
I have a group of yellow tylo snails that produce a lot of babies for me. Here are the conditions, though I am going to pump up the heat on them a bit to see if I can increase their activity and produce more babies.

pH 7.6 - 7.8
TDS 250 - 300 ppm
KH 12 - 14
temp 74 F

I also have the 'yellow antenna' and 'chocolate poso' tylos... the chocolates are in warmer water and are more active.

jbjack
15th Mar 2010, 06:34 AM
awesome..... how do you sex them?

boxedfish
15th Mar 2010, 10:14 AM
I also have the 'yellow antenna' and 'chocolate poso' tylos... the chocolates are in warmer water and are more active.

can i ask you if your chocolate poso manage to breed? if yes, does the babies have sandy shells just like the adults or just normal shells? mine is just normal shells

boxedfish
15th Mar 2010, 10:15 AM
awesome..... how do you sex them?
no one has managed to sex the tylomelania species as yet.

jbjack
15th Mar 2010, 10:55 AM
hmm... hope my 1 have a least 1 male or 1 female outta the 4!

I was just told the yellow rabbits like soft water, this isnt true is it? dont they like high ph / high temp / hard water?

could some one clarify this for me?

thanks!

boxedfish
15th Mar 2010, 11:04 AM
hmm... hope my 1 have a least 1 male or 1 female outta the 4!

I was just told the yellow rabbits like soft water, this isnt true is it? dont they like high ph / high temp / hard water?

could some one clarify this for me?

thanks!

mine is kept at moderately hard water. Being snails, they are more adaptable compared to those sulawesi shrimps. i think that harder water helps them to have better shell growing and also prevents the shell from degrading.

jbjack
30th Mar 2010, 02:30 PM
ya i agree about the hard water im keeping them at 29c with ph of about 7.8 in fairly hard water.

i just saw 2 of them, well maybe breeding? they were face to face kinda wrapped up in each others face. so im hoping!!! does any one know how long it takes to lay there blob and baby?

i have an interesting observation. when i introduced them there was a bunch of large ramshorns and large trumpets, which of course where prolific. In one particular corner there was a wack load of ram eggs, about 8 or 10 booger balls of them. i saw (with in an hour of the tylos being introduced) 2 tylos go right to that corner and crawl over them.. i cam back later on and all where gone...... and now the rams are also dead, the trumpets are still there but i am not seeing any offspring....... i know these tylos are reported peacefull, but only they, along with the mts and rams are the only habitants of this tank.... hmmmmm.......

paid2
30th Mar 2010, 03:07 PM
Tylos will eat most things, from veg, to dead fish, so I can see them eating other snail eggs no problem