PDA

View Full Version : How long to give birth to all the eggs?

fatboy
20th Sep 2005, 05:31 AM
One of my European shrimp is currently giving birth. :)

I saw the first shrimplet this morning and so far only about 5 have appeared. I was watching it closely and actually saw it give birth, liftung its tail and kicking the egg out. The poor little shrimp went *splat* on the glass and seems a bit dazed.

It was amazing to see. This egg got kicked and as it flew of the mother it unfolded into a perfect little shrimplet.

Anyway, how long will this go on for? The mother still has a lot of eggs left. Is it normal for birth to take a few hours?

I can't believe how tiny they are. :smitten:

I've got another pregant european shrimp and two pregant cherry reds about to drop. Yippee!

PS - european shrimp is Atyaephyra desmaresti. Mine looks like a cherry red wearing army camoflage.

jojoecute
20th Sep 2005, 08:52 AM
Hey... That great joy of watching the females birthing..
It take time for it to clear every eggs out.. BTW not all can survive..

Try not to do large water change, as shrimplets are sensitive..

One of my European shrimp is currently giving birth. :)

I saw the first shrimplet this morning and so far only about 5 have appeared. I was watching it closely and actually saw it give birth, liftung its tail and kicking the egg out. The poor little shrimp went *splat* on the glass and seems a bit dazed.

It was amazing to see. This egg got kicked and as it flew of the mother it unfolded into a perfect little shrimplet.

Anyway, how long will this go on for? The mother still has a lot of eggs left. Is it normal for birth to take a few hours?

I can't believe how tiny they are. :smitten:

I've got another pregant european shrimp and two pregant cherry reds about to drop. Yippee!

PS - european shrimp is Atyaephyra desmaresti. Mine looks like a cherry red wearing army camoflage.

Walter
23rd Sep 2005, 12:23 AM
Congrats about that! Take care of those little lives well! :D I'm sure you will though! :D

Yeah it takes some time depending on the species/the amount of eggs carried. :)

retardo
23rd Sep 2005, 12:27 AM

This is normal. It can take up to a few days (2) sometimes before all eggs are hatched. For most though, it happens within the first 12hrs.

fatboy
25th Sep 2005, 05:41 AM
Well, it looks like the shrimp are finished. :)

Thanks for the re-assurance. One shrimp was birthing for about 2 days and a second shrimp popped them out within 6 hours.