PDA

View Full Version : shrimplet found

nano
19th Sep 2005, 11:41 AM
hi ... i was surprise to find one little shrimplet in my tank yesterday. but the funny thing is i didnt notice any shrimp carrying eggs. is it because some species don't carry their eggs or the mother shrimps abandoned their eggs ?

nano
22nd Sep 2005, 07:52 PM
woh ooh ... still alive :)

still dunno what species.... my wife says i see the shrimplet more than her ... :p

silane
22nd Sep 2005, 08:49 PM
nice, what shrimp is that?

Walter
23rd Sep 2005, 12:20 AM
It could be that it's included in the packet when you purchased your shrimp? :D

retardo
23rd Sep 2005, 12:24 AM
hi ... i was surprise to find one little shrimplet in my tank yesterday. but the funny thing is i didnt notice any shrimp carrying eggs. is it because some species don't carry their eggs or the mother shrimps abandoned their eggs ?

AFAIK, all shrimp species carry their eggs until they hatch. Did you recently purchase a new batch of shrimp?

BTW, shrimp is both singular and plural; there is no such thing as shrimps, except when a fisherman shrimps (catches shrimp for sport or for commercial purposes).

retardo
23rd Sep 2005, 05:07 AM
AFAIK, all shrimp species carry their eggs until they hatch.

Haha... I lied again. I found this interesting tidbit on MSN Encarta:

In shrimp reproduction, the male deposits sperm into a gelatinous mass produced by the female and located between her fourth pair of walking legs. The female then lays eggs, in batches of up to 15,000 at a time. The sperm fertilizes the eggs. Females usually care for the fertilized eggs in a brood chamber found on the underside of her tail. In some species, the eggs are scattered in the water and left to develop on their own.

nano
26th Sep 2005, 10:28 AM
thanks for all the infos guys!

walter ... i don't think it's from a new batch of shrimp i bought as couldnt find the shrimp that i like for quite sometime oledi ... :undecided

but, i think it's most likely yamato coz my wife told me they were 'on-top-of-each-other' sometime back ... before one of them (i have only 2) committed suicide by leaping to his/her death about two months ago ... and i accidentally squashed it :embarasse :behead: :wall: :knife: :bigcry: :stupid: :vanish: :whip:

somehow, i didnt managed to see any of them carrying eggs. maybe like retardo said they abandoned they eggs ... maybe due to stress by my other fishes :anxious:

fatboy
26th Sep 2005, 11:16 PM
BTW, shrimp is both singular and plural; there is no such thing as shrimps, except when a fisherman shrimps (catches shrimp for sport or for commercial purposes).

Catching shrimp is also sometimes known as shrimping. It's not a word I use because it's also british slang for toe sucking during sex.

Nano, have you introduced new shrimp or plants from other shrimp tanks in the last 4-6 weeks? It's possible the shrimplet was in the tank but was so small you didn't notice it.

I've found 3 shrimplets in my 25 gallon dwarf puffer tank which also had adult european shrimp until 4 weeks ago. The adults were moved to a small tank of their own and have recently given birth to the tiniest little shrimplets. I can understand how the babies got lost in the bigger tank.

I used to use a small Rekord 70 tank for shrimp but moved them when I realised they would live in the filter by choice. I still find small shrimp occassionally, little cherry red males. lol

retardo
27th Sep 2005, 12:52 AM
somehow, i didnt managed to see any of them carrying eggs. maybe like retardo said they abandoned they eggs ... maybe due to stress by my other fishes :anxious:

Unfortunately, Amanos are one species that carries their eggs till they hatch. Even then, they go through a larval stage before becoming a fully-formed adult. If you did indeed find a baby shrimp in its benthic form, it is more likely that it came from a species that has no larval stage. Dropped eggs with the commonly kept species we have today usually means the eggs are not viable.

retardo
27th Sep 2005, 12:55 AM
It's not a word I use because it's also british slang for toe sucking during sex.

Interesting. :shocked: I'll remember that when I'm out in the UK.