PDA

View Full Version : Shrimps with Fish!

arorules
20th Mar 2005, 08:07 PM
Hi all,

I am thinking of having a small shrimp tank in my fish tank

i will probably get a seperator container (those stuck on the glass with lots of holes)

the seperator will be quite big and i am thinking of putting a moss ball/ small driftwood...will shrimps of diff. kinds...

my question is,
I know that if my shrimps breed, the fishes outside the container will eat the baby when they swim out...

BUT is my idea of rearing shrimp possible?

silane
20th Mar 2005, 09:01 PM
Certain fish give out too much ammonia and in turn contaminate the tank with high level of nitrate, such tank is not suitable to keep shrimp.

The separate container method (don;t use net type, it get dirty very fast) will work, provided that the tank water is good for shrimps, which is at a high requirement then what fish can survive. Provide them with a lot of moss, plant and floating plant hideout and shade. Take care of good circulation of water into the separate container via the holes.

And when the shrimps spawn inside the container, I am sure small fishes will be waiting outside for their meals.

A small sized shrimp tank delicated is overall better than using a separate container.

Bocca
21st Mar 2005, 07:12 AM
my last experience was, i kept a few small badis to assist me to clear those damn snails and fleas from my moss tank, which i have house about 30 C. shrimps
first few weeks, it was fine and clearing most of the pest.
but some to the 4th wk,my C.shrimps populations start to decline.
Happened to spot those "mine" sweeper badis attacking my C.shrimps... :(
So, morale of the story...it's NO for fish together with shrimps.
But i might be wrong...bcos some other fish together with shrimps could be fine.
(but when we have forgotten to feed those fish, what would happen??)
anyway that was my comments.
:)

Walter
21st Mar 2005, 12:55 PM
Hmm have to make sure little ammonia and nitrite.. they cant tolerate much...

Robert
21st Mar 2005, 07:00 PM
Hi,
it is possible to keep shrimps with fishes and even raise shrimplets. But most fishes consider shrimps as food. I would especially avoid cichlids (even apistos) and Badis spp. and Dario spp. because they love shrimps. Even the small scarelt badis (Dario dario) eat shrimps if he can.
No problem are honey gouramis (colisa sota), small corys, Otos and some livebearers in experience. Take a look here to see which fishes I kept sucessfuly with shrimps: Shrimp tank mates (http://www.shrimpnow.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3) . Of course there are much more species which are good tank mates but my space is limited and so I had only the chance to made experiences with these species.

In general fishes who do not consider crustacean like daphnia etc. as their natural food or who are non-carnivorous should be good tank mates if you are careful. There could always be an exception.

regards

Robert

Walter
21st Mar 2005, 07:09 PM
Hi,
it is possible to keep shrimps with fishes and even raise shrimplets. But most fishes consider shrimps as food. I would especially avoid cichlids (even apistos) and Badis spp. and Dario spp. because they love shrimps. Even the small scarelt badis (Dario dario) eat shrimps if he can.
No problem are honey gouramis (colisa sota), small corys, Otos and some livebearers in experience. Take a look here to see which fishes I kept sucessfuly with shrimps: Shrimp tank mates (http://www.shrimpnow.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3) . Of course there are much more species which are good tank mates but my space is limited and so I had only the chance to made experiences with these species.

In general fishes who do not consider crustacean like daphnia etc. as their natural food or who are non-carnivorous should be good tank mates if you are careful. There could always be an exception.

regards

Robert

hmm from the link i can see u kept a copper plakat (betta) with shrimps before, I'm quite sure bettas love to attack/eat shrimps. u didnt notice any aggression to the shrimps by the betta? :confused:

Robert
21st Mar 2005, 08:15 PM
Hi Walter,
I kept bettas in the past together with shrimps and had no problems, evens shrimplets grew without a problem.
I put this betta in my new show tank with cherry shrimps and once again I had no problem. He was not interested in the shrimps yet. But I'm careful, every betta is different. Until now I seem to have luck.

regards

Robert

Walter
21st Mar 2005, 08:53 PM
Hi Walter,
I kept bettas in the past together with shrimps and had no problems, evens shrimplets grew without a problem.
I put this betta in my new show tank with cherry shrimps and once again I had no problem. He was not interested in the shrimps yet. But I'm careful, every betta is different. Until now I seem to have luck.

regards

Robert

wow u sure have a kind-hearted betta! :eek: :D I think you are very lucky, i would still strongly advise against having bettas with shrimps though :)

dkk08
21st Mar 2005, 10:31 PM
well u guys can try boraras merah, boraras briggitae or boraras uro... these fishes r quite tiny themselves, as big as the shrimps n quite colorful too... or hill stream loach, kuhli loach, sturisoma, parva... all these shld do well with shrimps as they're mainly algae eater like the shrimps :D

Ljung
22nd Mar 2005, 12:25 PM
ya, in general, sucker mouths, cories, kuhli is fine with shrimps.
i have some cardinal tetras in my shrimp tank as well. no problem for shrimplets to be raised in the tank. the only thing to be careful is the bioload of the tank and gives lots of hiding place for your shrimps to make them comfortable.
:D

Rupert
22nd Mar 2005, 05:16 PM
What about Guppies? Will they coexist or will they hunt the shrimp down.

Guppies seem to have no qualms about eating their young, that for sure.

Robert
22nd Mar 2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Rupert,
I'm a guppy breeder too, so I also tried to keep them with my shrimps to safe space (guppy breeders cannot get enough space ever). My guppies never attacked the shrimplets but they were also not used to eat live crustacean like daphnia or cyclops (because these are very hard to get most of the year).
The behaviour of guppies can be very different e.g. my guppies do not eat their offspring, so I would be careful. Juvenile and adult shrimps should be OK but shrimplets are a risk. Observe them while they look for food and feed the guppies well. It's not possible to generalise their behaviour. I had never problems with them, even new born shrimplets were not eaten, so why shouldn't you have the same luck like me?

regards

Robert

simcb
23rd Mar 2005, 09:24 AM
I am breeding some guppies too for fun. I used to put the new born guppies fries into my planted shrimp tank. Until I saw one of the fries attack a shrimplet same size as it is.

Saw my 5 Cardinal tetras attack in gang up a shrimp after it moulted. Guppies.... peck at the moulted shrimps too. if it moulting in the open.

dwarf Puffer is a nono(especially when the snails run out you will find missing shrimps and see the puffer stomach bloated)

Not sure about boraras merah, boraras briggitae or boraras uro (where can i get them?)

Newcastle
31st Mar 2005, 08:06 AM
Hi Walter,

regards

Robert

haha.
I am keeping Cherry Shrimp with Betta Frys now. (fry are about a mth old)
Planning to transport the bettas to another tank to ensure that the Cherry Shrimp can live in peace.
:)
but so far, bettas, due to its small fry size, seems terrified of Cherry Shrimps

ralp
20th Jun 2005, 05:06 AM
well u guys can try boraras merah, boraras briggitae or boraras uro... these fishes r quite tiny themselves, as big as the shrimps n quite colorful too... or hill stream loach, kuhli loach, sturisoma, parva... all these shld do well with shrimps as they're mainly algae eater like the shrimps :D

Hi,

i just want to add another Boraras. This weekend i bought 20 Boraras maculatus. I keep them together with some Red Cherry in my 160 liter tank. So far no problem. The Cherries looks almost bigger then the Boraras. :D

My Red Cherry never hatched. So i have no idea if the offspring will survive with Maculatus as tankmates.

Regards. Ralp

simcb
20th Jun 2005, 09:16 AM
Hi,

i just want to add another Boraras. This weekend i bought 20 Boraras maculatus. I keep them together with some Red Cherry in my 160 liter tank. So far no problem. The Cherries looks almost bigger then the Boraras. :D

My Red Cherry never hatched. So i have no idea if the offspring will survive with Maculatus as tankmates.

Regards. Ralp

Your cherry doesnt hatch? Have you seen them with eggs?

For my case, the young shrimplets usually come out of hiding after they are big enough. Its really hard to spot them in a 60 liter tank let alone a 160 one :D

Try to keep less Boraras, in your tank as a mean to control those unslighty micro worms and rotifers. Too many fishes may reduce the chance cherries mating? I notice that when i add the boraras the cherry have slowed in the production of eggs.

Maybe when the tank is almost cleared, we should catch the boraras and place them in betta breeding nets? And release them to help clear the rotifier once in a while? I am still observing the effect boraras have on cherries reproduction rates. I notice now the situation with boraras its similar to when i kept guppies and tetra with cherries, the cherries seems to not have eggs. Hmm...although boraras dont attack shrimps or fries but it wouldnt be nice if the cherries are not confortable with it.

Maybe there is a cool down period for reproduction? Anyone? Its been 1.5 mths since i see any pregnant female with eggs.

ralp
20th Jun 2005, 03:26 PM
Sorry for my bad english. I meant they never ever had hatched (breeded) for some reasons. Just 4 or 5 cherries left. So i cannot blame the boraras for the problems with the cherries. The company seemes almost to have a positiv effect on cherries. They are much more aktiv in the moss. Not so much hiding any longer. Maybe they felt alone in the 160 liter before :D

Regards. Ralp

andrewtyr
24th Jun 2006, 10:54 PM
My experience is that Trigonostigma espei is quite shrimp-safe too.

morphriz
7th Jul 2006, 09:27 PM
I learned the hard way that goldfish, no matter how small, arent very shrimp firendly. I had one eat all my breeding filtershrimp females. Caught him one day with antennae sticking out of his mouth... :(

Moses703
8th Jul 2006, 03:15 AM
Most of hervivorus, and fishes that has no interest to live food are
good. Adult CRS get along with lot's of species, but no cichilids except
some rams. :)

I was trying to display some pic of fishes that are good with shrimps, but I am
having some technical difficults. Can anyone help me up loading the pictures?

retardo
8th Jul 2006, 03:56 AM
I learned the hard way that goldfish, no matter how small, arent very shrimp firendly. I had one eat all my breeding filtershrimp females. Caught him one day with antennae sticking out of his mouth... :(

Heh... well, goldfish have notoriously voracious eaters and have big mouths to boot... they were bound to swallow a whole shrimp. Who would've thought a filtershrimp though?