PDA

View Full Version : ID this please

silane
7th Sep 2005, 01:12 AM
I need help to ID this. They are found in waters of Singapore.

Do they do well with a bare tank or do they need gravel?

simcb
7th Sep 2005, 09:55 AM
I believe this is called the blue yabbie. I have see it in before over TV when they were introducing food varity show in australia.

Like all crabs and lobster, they need high iodate. I guess the idea food available will be Hikirai Crab food and supplment with other algae waffers.

I kept them before a few years back(red ones and blue ones),I feed bloodworms only. They always die after moulting. I guess there isnt any iodine in fozen blood worms :p . They should do well without substrate but i think they require cool waters anything above 28 degrees is risky.

If you are keeping many of these yabbies in a small tank, ensure there is enough hiding space like hollow pipes and stuff if not you will soon see dislocated claws and legs :x .

silane
8th Sep 2005, 09:56 AM
Thank Sim,

I suppose dislocated claws and legs will grow back?

I am feeding them with Crab Cuisine, hope not to have molting related problems. :)

Veneer
9th Sep 2005, 07:07 AM
I suppose dislocated claws and legs will grow back?

Eventually, though initially regenerated appendages are often discolored or smaller than normal (conditions likely to improve with subsequent molts).

NanoDave
9th Sep 2005, 10:34 AM
They are actually very easy to keep but if you have more than one you will need to remove them everytime they moult. I have a friend who has absolutely no fishkeeping knowledge but he manage to have them breed in his tank. :)

From what I know, he feeds them live fish (caught from ponds) and scraps from his kitchen like vegetables and leftover rice. :)

Walter
9th Sep 2005, 01:36 PM
Fish shops name them "common blue lobsters", related to shrimps but not shrimps. :)

Reminds me of my ex freshwater lobster set-up, share some pictures. :D

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/bettafanatic/lobsters/?return=/members/bettafanatic/

silane
12th Sep 2005, 12:30 PM
Walter,

What is your frog and lobster doing?? :D

http://arofanatics.com/members/bettafanatic/lobsters/image10.jpg

Walter
12th Sep 2005, 08:57 PM
Eh, haha as you can see, they are omnivorous. So the baby lobster is making a meal out of the frog. The results were disgusting, the lobster cut open the tummy and ate the organs, leaving the not so tasty skin behind. :shocked:

chris lukhaup
11th Dec 2007, 03:14 PM
Hi, the crayfish on you're picture is Cherax quadricarinatus.
Cheers
Chris

Koi Boy
12th Dec 2007, 02:59 PM
we had a shipment at work that came in from SG looking really close to the ones in the pics, they were listed as rainbow tiger shrimps (tiger crayfish)
i was fortunate to hold a female back and hatch out some babies

TitoC
17th Dec 2007, 08:41 PM
Hi, the crayfish on you're picture is Cherax quadricarinatus.
Cheers
Chris

I also vote Cherax quadricarinatus, the Australian red claw crayfish from northern Queensland, Australia.

(I understood that a yabby = cherax destructor
and as the name implies, they would have much more impressive claws...)