PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic CO2 diffusers?

AquaDean
18th Jan 2010, 03:50 PM
Question regarding the glass and ceramic disk CO2 diffusers. They range in price from about $6 to over $100. Other than the "looks" and the "name" is there really any difference in the actual ceramic disk? Do some brands atomize better than others, do they create finer bubbles? I have no problem paying for quality if it really makes a difference but so far I've only used the cheap diffusers from eBay and have been wondering if the more expensive brand name ones really make a difference.

retardo
18th Jan 2010, 07:24 PM
IMO, no. A ceramic diffuser is a ceramic diffuser. Some diffusers may produce finer bubbles, but there is no way to know until after you have use the diffusers themselves. For ADA stuff, you are paying for the brand, and perhaps higher quality materials and a nicer looking diffuser, but in my mind, they all serve the same purpose. I've used cheapie ones in the past with no problem. Other alternatives you may consider are bamboo chopsticks (break off a small piece from the end of the ones you get from Asian takeout) or limewood airstones, which can produce pretty fine bubbles as well.

AquaDean
19th Jan 2010, 08:21 AM
I kind of figured that the ceramic disks were pretty much all the same so you just end up paying for the package and not the function. I'll stick with the cheap ones because you could buy up to ten of them for the price of one of the expensive ones.
I'm not a big fan of the limewood airstones but the chopstick idea. . . well that's free, I'm going to try it tonight and I'll report back.

AquaDean
20th Jan 2010, 08:52 AM
retardo,
I tried the piece of bamboo chopstick for a CO2 diffuser last night and it does work. Bubbles are a little bit larger that the ceramic glass diffuser but it did indeed work. I noticed that when I lowered the bubble count that the bubbles turned to a really fine mist so this could be a great solution for a nano tank where you don't need as much CO2.
Thanks for the tip.

NeyaNey
28th Jan 2010, 12:52 AM
Make sure it's bamboo. I've heard of people using any chopsticks (for diffusor)from their local food joint. Many of which don't supply bamboo anymore, just flimsy wood. I can't see these wood ones working well.
If you have to break the chopsticks Apar before you eat then they are definitely wood!
Bamboo chopsticks should not feel cheap (they are slightly heavier)and not be easily breakable. My in laws chopsticks last for years and years.
Asian markets are a great place to buy a pack, can usually get a huge pack for $1-$2

Felf808
1st Feb 2010, 06:03 PM
I've used a few different diffusors and the best one by far is the one I bought from ebay. If you look up "co2 atomizer" you'll see one that's supposed to be run inline with a canister filter. It produces a super fine mist and doesn't require cleaning because the housing is dark so algae doesn't grow on it.

Foxtrotperv
25th Feb 2010, 12:09 AM
I agree with Felf808 that co2 atomizer is suppose to produce more diluted CO2. Be vary of those chopstick made of bamboo as they are rinsed in bleach to make them appear light brownish. Might kill your favourite shrimp. :uneasy:

NeyaNey
25th Feb 2010, 02:12 AM
Both chloride and peroxide bleach break down quickly.(about 24 hours give or take depending on dillution I believe) I frequently bleach used tanks to kill almost almost any bad bugs, virus, bacteria, algae etc. The one thing I know for sure it doesn't kill is fish tuberculosis. I let sit till bleach smell dissapates an then Rinse or just add a tripple dose of dechlorinator(depends on future inhabitants or mood).

Chloride to table salt an water. Peroxide to water and hydrogen.

Obviously you wouldn't pour straight bleach into a live tank.
Any concern of bleach can be addressed with dillution(soaking bamboo or item in water with a dechlorinator.
I'd worry more about other treatments possibily done to the chopsticks(wax, laquer, paint)