PDA

View Full Version : Down to four

Hydro
6th Sep 2005, 12:22 AM
Started with six cherry shrimps about two months ago and there are four left. One simply went missing and its body wasn't found. For the second, I found it one morning clinging to a leaf upside down and kind of struggling in an unusual way and it died a couple hours later.

I'm wondering about the missing shrimp. It's a shrimp only tank so there're no other predators. Escape is also highly unlikely because the tank top is well covered. If it had died, would other shrimps carnnibalize the dead shrimp? I suppose it's not out of the question given that they would eat the exoskeleton after molting. Just wondering.

imi_sky
6th Sep 2005, 06:32 AM
chances are hydro that your missing shrimps were..well eaten, as ive had that happen before. but check what is killing them...you say they seem to be clinging onto something before they died...ive had that happen before..and it was due to the water condition and stressing them out. maybe you would like to share with us the water condition you have??

Hydro
6th Sep 2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks for your reply. The tank is a 12g, low-light (~1.3 wpg), has been set up for over a year with fish, and was converted to a shrimp tank when I got the cherries. It's well planted (several java ferns, anubias, crypt wendtii, java moss), lots of hiding spots, feed different foods every other day (algae wafer, sinking wafer, crab cuisine), and 50% water change weekly. Dose macros, micros, and Excel once a week. No changes were made to the tank.

Immediately after the second shrimp died (this was a couple of weeks ago), tests show zero ammonia and nitrite by my AP test kits. I didn't test nitrate, although historically that has been around 20-30 for the tank.

The remaining four shrimps are active, eating, and seem fine. Unfortunately, I think they are all females; they all have the yellow saddle on the back of their necks. Guess I'll have to see if I can find a few males.

Given that they are algae eaters, I was curious whether the missing shrimp could have been eaten after it died. I guess it was.

Walter
6th Sep 2005, 11:43 PM
I think you have a problem with your water. Cherry shrimps don't die easily, they should multiply instead. lol

silane
7th Sep 2005, 01:19 AM
Thanks for your reply. The tank is a 12g, low-light (~1.3 wpg), has been set up for over a year with fish, and was converted to a shrimp tank when I got the cherries. It's well planted (several java ferns, anubias, crypt wendtii, java moss), lots of hiding spots, feed different foods every other day (algae wafer, sinking wafer, crab cuisine), and 50% water change weekly. Dose macros, micros, and Excel once a week. No changes were made to the tank.

Look like you have all low requirments plants, dosing of fert and carbon source are not necessary. They will not use up all fert, the unused fert will hurt the shrimps. Why not, don't dose any fert or Excel, the plants can do well without them?

imi_sky
7th Sep 2005, 04:57 AM
dosing the ferts at a little but often seems to work with me. as none of my dosing seems to harm the shrimps anymore after only dosing a little but every day