PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Flourish tabs

Summit MicroFarm
8th Jan 2010, 02:29 PM
Has anyone ever used Seachem Flourish tabs in their CRS tanks???? I have read what people said about the Flourish excel, but I haven't found anyone with info about the tabs. ANY info about your experiences are welcome. thanks:D

btan
19th Mar 2010, 12:35 PM
I have not used the Flourish Comprehensive Root Tabs; however, I do believe there are trace amounts of elemental copper in them. I have read of other hobbists [on the plantedtank.net forum] using Flourish Comprehensive (liquid) in their CRS tanks with no problem. Personally, I'm uneasy knowning that there is elemental copper contained in the fertilizer.

RoryM
5th Apr 2010, 12:09 AM
I use them all the time and the plants love em. The plants with root tabs under them grow alot better then the ones without.

leekelvin
3rd May 2010, 11:25 AM
I would like to know too, if Seachem Flourish Tabs is really ok to use in shrimp tanks? Which is good, Seachem Flourish Excel or Seachem Flourish Tabs? Thanks.

acer
3rd May 2010, 11:36 AM
right now i switched to seachem flourite (plant substrate that has about the same stuff as the tabs)... which has about the same amount of elemental copper in it as the tabs (when you consider how many tabs you'd put in for each plant...) so far no problems for the shrimp/snail and plants seem to be happy.

i guess when you consider it... small amounts of copper (17 mg for a whole bag of flourite) is close to nothing when you put it in the aquarium. and i'm sure those of us with copper pipes in their homes have some copper in their water, as well, when they do water changes.

i don't know... up to you. you can try in a separate tank with lower grade shrimp if you want.

RoryM
3rd May 2010, 01:07 PM
You will only notice copper from your copper pipes in the house when the water in them sits for a long period of time, same if you have lead pipes. When you get water for the water change, let the water run for abit. Im a commercial plumber and we do water samples sometimes on older buildings and if you let it run for abit, you get good clean, copper free water.

seiji64
4th May 2010, 12:47 PM
I think Flourish tabs are even safer than liquid Flourish since the tab's nutrients remain primarily in the substrate, although I've had no issue with either in my blue tiger shrimp tank. I've only used a few tabs under a particular plant and haven't put them in every 4-6 inches though. As long as your plants are root feeders, I think tabs should be fine. I know others have asked Seachem about Flourish/Flourish tabs and they've said their products are shrimp safe when used as directed and stored within normal temps.

On copper/metals in pipes: I always let my water run a bit before collecting it and use only cold water. I've heard the water in the hot water heater holds leached metals, particularly older heaters. What do you think Rory?

Doug

RoryM
4th May 2010, 08:26 PM
Old water heaters are just plain nasty, depending on where you live the water heater might only survive for 7-10 years as the high mineral content coats everything on the inside and thats when things go south for the metals inside. We take our water for granted since all we have to do is turn on a tap, but just remember what doesnt effect us might kill or weaken a sensitive shrimp if your water municipality changes anything. For instance cities with old asbestos concrete watermains and lead waterlines into your homes, they counter those materials with high ph. They cranked our ph to around 8.4-9.1 and they dont have to advertise this either so if you like your ornamental shrimp i would advise you to test the water periodically.

seiji64
4th May 2010, 09:10 PM
Hi leekelvin,
Note that Flourish Excel is a carbon supplement that people often use when they don't have yeast or pressurized CO2. This provides plants with an alternate source of carbon.

The 3 Flourish products to compare are the micro supplements.
Since copper is the main worry for us, here's the breakdown:
Flourish (comprehensive) - It's copper content is 0.0001%.
Flourish tabs - It's copper content is 0.001%. Higher, but primarily stays in the substrate.
Flourish Trace - It's copper content is 0.0032%.
Iron is one of the more important micros for plants. Note that Trace has no iron.

Of the Flourish micro supplements, the one I would skip is Trace. Use Flourish if you have water column feeding plants (mosses, Java fern, floating plants) and tabs if you have root feeders (many stem plants, crypts, etc). Note that many rooted plants can/do pull micros from the water column as well.

I mainly use Flourish, Flourish Excel, and Flourish Iron in my higher light planted tanks with inverts. I use tabs on certain rooted plants that aren't responding to Flourish. You can try smaller doses at first and if your plants respond well to that, then you may not need any more.

Doug

seiji64
4th May 2010, 09:22 PM
Duplicate post. Sorry.
Doug