PDA

View Full Version : Breaking down a shrimp tank

dissident
4th Sep 2005, 08:53 AM
I just keep pulling out more and more shrimp from a 55gal that I am taking down and resetting up this week. What is the best way to tear down a larger tank with a lot of shrimp?
I accept the fact that will probably loose a lot of shrimp, but I would like to keep losses down to a minimum. Are there any DIY shrimp traps I can make? I was thinking a soda bottle with some algae wafers in it...

Lotus
4th Sep 2005, 12:06 PM
You can do any small container with a lid, put a hole in the lid, and put some bait in it. That will probably catch quite a lot. Something like a small food container would work.

simcb
5th Sep 2005, 09:56 AM
I have tried with traps, i personally feels it's too slow using a mineral bottle trap . The best way i guess is to catch them with a net during feeding time. It takes a few rounds to remove most of the adults, it's difficult to remove all if you have shrimplets. For months i cant even remove all the cherries from my 2ft planted tank which is currently housing my diamond shrimps.

You might have to sacrifice a few shrimplets you missed. Like lately i found a 2 mths old diamond shrimplet growing up in my(no chiller)3ft cherry tank... i wonder how it got there :rolleyes: .

NanoDave
5th Sep 2005, 10:01 AM
Maybe you can siphon them out with the water change and then pour out the shrimped water from the pail through a fine net.. :)

*note: I never tried it this way! Just an idea... :)

dissident
6th Sep 2005, 04:23 AM
the trap isn't working at all. I'm just going to keep netting what i can. Then syphon out what i can. its just a pain in the butt.

simcb
6th Sep 2005, 09:30 AM
Yeah its a pain. It will be faster if you can remove all the plants that what i do since you have to tear it down later. Then the shrimps will have no where to hide :) .

dissident
6th Sep 2005, 09:35 AM
Yeah, im taking the moss and rocks out tomorrow morning so that will help. With the traps, netting over the last few days i have made a small dent in the amount of shrimp in that tank. There are still so many in there, wish they were something cooler like Cherry or Bee...