PDA

View Full Version : online shrimp seller, ships to Europe from Germany

fatboy
4th Sep 2005, 05:55 AM
I found this site, interaquaristik that will ship shrimp anywhere in europe. I'll order from them soon and let you know if it was succesful. The shrimp seem fairly cheap and shipping to the UK is 17.50 euros. I think it's only 4.95 in Germany, or free if you order more than 75 euros worth.

http://www.interaquaristik.de/catalog/index.php?xC=Garnelen&sessID=ec73c100d641e4677e063cad0770790a

I'm thinking of buying some rednose shrimp and a couple of filter feeding shrimp (Atyoida pilipes).

If anyone has ordered from them already, I'd be interested to hear your story.

rain-
4th Sep 2005, 06:38 AM
Shipping to Finland won't work. All of the ones I tried to order died during transit (4-5 days), others have had same kind of experience here too. I don't know if the parcel would travel faster to UK.

zwergkrebs
5th Sep 2005, 05:06 AM
If you search through German forums, you will find many people saying the following things:
Many dead shrimps arrived (within Germany!), ordering only 1 species resulted in getting several different species, sometimes not even 1 shrimp of the right one included. This shopīs feedback is not one of the best.

fatboy
15th Sep 2005, 04:06 AM
A quick update:

Before I read the feedback I had ordered 10 rednose shrimp (palaemon scarlotti) in a moment of madness. I was actually wanting crystal redshrimp but got confused in my excitement. :)

The order went through and I got an email saying my order would be processed. 6 days later I still hadn't received the shrimp and emailed them in bad google-translated German. They replied, in english, that the weather was too warm and they hoped to ship soon. As the website warned me they don't ship in hot or changable weather that was acceptable. On Sunday night I got an email saying the shrimp would ship in 1-2 working days and they arrived this morning.

The shrimp are tiny and appear to be rednose shrimp (the kind I ordered). I counted 8 live ones and one that was dying. There was a molted shell and I suspect the dying shrimp had recently molted and had been attacked. It literally died as I was unpacking them and the other shrimp started eating it straight away. That's a risk I knew about and I'm delighted so many survived.

The shrimp are now very active and eating. Some a very milky white and others are almost clear. 2 have started to develop a red colour on their tail and nose. I will keep an eye on them to make sure they survive the next few days.

Overall I'm happy with the result. I'm sure the order was missing a shrimp, which I'm annoyed about. However, it's possible I have mis-counted as they're so small. The packaging was very good, with a double bag in a styrofoam box padded with shredded paper.

Thanks for other peoples comments. It's good to know the level of risk when using the site. I was keen enough to accept the risk and luckily it worked out.

amber2461
15th Sep 2005, 03:31 PM
Congrats on your latest beauties, keep us posted!

Frank
15th Sep 2005, 07:16 PM
Buying at private people is cheaper and the shrimps are fitter.
Package has to be the same, maybe transport is a little bit more expensive but that donīt has to be.