PDA

View Full Version : moss and hair algae

jbjack
15th Dec 2009, 07:58 AM
hey everyone, i havent kept shrimp for long, i have kept cichlids though for over 15 years, but have never had this problem, i have 3 shrimp tanks, a 50 gallon rcs tank, a 20 gallon crs tank and a 20 gallon snowball tank. I have been very successfull in all 3 tanks, with lots of very healthy, berried shrimps, BUT my crs tank (heavilly mossed) has ALOT of blackish hair algae, my sbs tank (medium mossed) have alot too, however my rcs tank has none? how do i get rid of this with out endangering my shrimp, i dont want to add any fish..... is there any way to do this? in my crs the hair algae is really engulfing my moss, and i hate it. lol, thanks for your help!

dxiong5
15th Dec 2009, 01:15 PM
If it is indeed hair algae, you can do partial water changes, reduce the amount of food you're feeding, and/or use Excel.

gabeszone247
15th Dec 2009, 04:29 PM
Also after doing everything Dxiong5 said you can add a few Amano/Yamato shrimp to eat it all away. It takes about 3-5 days for the the Amano/Yamato shrimp to eat most of it away. I have a small spare tank that I house 10-15 yamato shrimp and when I have alage problem I just dump them in the invested tank. When they eat it all up I remove the amano shrimp.

retardo
15th Dec 2009, 05:33 PM
Do a 3-day blackout. Cover the entire tank with black cloth so that no light is able to penetrate the tank. Leave your lights off. No lights, no feeding, no nothing.... not even a peek! Your fish/shrimp should be ok during this period.

Bumple
9th Mar 2010, 09:55 PM
Also after doing everything Dxiong5 said you can add a few Amano/Yamato shrimp to eat it all away. It takes about 3-5 days for the the Amano/Yamato shrimp to eat most of it away. I have a small spare tank that I house 10-15 yamato shrimp and when I have alage problem I just dump them in the invested tank. When they eat it all up I remove the amano shrimp.

Hi, I'm thinking about getting some Amano shrimps for this very purpose - getting hair algae under control. Was wondering though; the shrimp guy here says they aren't very nice to other drawf shrimp. If I were to have them with 20 crs/cbs, in a 450 liter aquarium - how many amano would be a good amount and would they bother the crystals too much?

Thanks!

guppies
10th Mar 2010, 11:22 PM
My Amano's don't eat hair algae, they prefer the softer algae and wafers. I guess you need to really starve them before they will get to the hair algae. This will only work with fish and planted tank.

RoryM
11th Mar 2010, 08:04 AM
Justin last time I was over I really noticed how big that clump of java moss and was going to ask about hair algae but forgot. You need to break that huge piece up and get water flowing through it. Anytime I ever get hair algae is cause I left the lights on for too long or the java moss has become too dense and the shrimp are not cleaning off the microscopic algae. Also, check your phosphate levels.