PDA

View Full Version : Methods of Trimming Moss in your shrimp tank

simcb
1st Sep 2005, 09:45 AM
Hi guys,

I just wondering how do you plan to or trim your moss when your shrimp tank/moss is crawling with lots of shrimplets. :huh:

rclover
1st Sep 2005, 10:05 AM
Just trim away, don't worry about cutting your shrimp because you won't they jolt away fast. I know this but trimming Riccia weekly.

kimco
1st Sep 2005, 05:16 PM
I dont trim, I pull them slowly. Trimming tends to be quite messy with bits and pieces floating everywhere.

KG

kee
1st Sep 2005, 06:25 PM
I also used the "pulling" method.

dom
2nd Sep 2005, 11:09 AM
:joking: check out my rubbish shrimp tank. I never trim... :D

retardo
2nd Sep 2005, 04:02 PM
I yank it out and leave a growout patch stuck to the driftwood.

simcb
2nd Sep 2005, 04:28 PM
Seems like "pulling" moss is the most favourite method used when trimming. I hope i dont pull until a bald patch appears :D . Thanks.

rclover
2nd Sep 2005, 11:27 PM
I trim before water changes so I can just suck the pieces out.

kimco
5th Sep 2005, 05:38 PM
I trim before water changes so I can just suck the pieces out.

Yes but in my case, i will always, always find some small pieces intruding into another type of moss and contaminating them.

KG

star88
7th Sep 2005, 09:56 PM
Yes but in my case, i will always, always find some small pieces intruding into another type of moss and contaminating them.

KG
I don't trim them too,still use the pulling mothod.the smaller pieces flies everywhere n uery unsightly >(

jon
10th Oct 2005, 02:02 PM
hi bro,
anyone have better methods besides the pulling methods? is this the best way?
lol
regards

amidala
10th Oct 2005, 08:10 PM
Trimming is possible provided that:

(1) your tank is big enough to fit a pair of trimming scissors in; or
(2) your scissors is small enough to fit into your tank; or
(3) your moss is tied to a piece of driftwood in which case you can lift the whole piece, give it a "haircut" and replace it; or
(4) your moss fronds are large enough to cut nice big pieces away.

You can scoop up the messy, floating moss with a fishing net. Takes a while to clear everything, but if you do it small areas at a time it shouldn't be a problem. If you're trimming a small moss patch and don't want bits to float around and get stuck in (say) your riccia bed, then the slow pulling method is a better, cleaner way.

Sharing from my own limited experiences, hope it helps! :D

jon
11th Oct 2005, 09:20 AM
hi bro,
me think the plucking method is better and things will be under control,
me try trim a bit and floating moss is everywhere. difficult to scoop them up especially i have frogbits and duckweek in me tank. :cry:
will not try the trim method again in my tank
regards

Beviking
23rd Jan 2006, 09:38 PM
Anyone try using a small tube syphon while trimming to suck up little pieces immediately?

-Be

shrimp
10th Feb 2006, 08:05 PM
I think the trimming method works fine but if you have alof of shrimplets then I suggest that you dont do anything to it.

I heard that the sap from the torn away plant might kill the shrimplets when a substantial concentration is produced during trimming.

gr81
11th Feb 2006, 12:03 AM
I think the trimming method works fine but if you have alof of shrimplets then I suggest that you dont do anything to it.

I heard that the sap from the torn away plant might kill the shrimplets when a substantial concentration is produced during trimming.
Cryptos, Anubiases and now mosses. Everything poisonous. We should be very lucky that our shrimps still live :D

shrimp
11th Feb 2006, 01:29 AM
Cryptos, Anubiases and now mosses. Everything poisonous. We should be very lucky that our shrimps still live :D

Haha look on the bright side. If your shrimp dies then its a good opportunity to change new ones heehee :D

But if you own SS CRS then will abit sad... :p