PDA

View Full Version : Active Carbon Vs Super Peat

simcb
1st Sep 2005, 09:34 AM
Hi guys,

Does active carbon remove the PH down effects of peat?
I know it helps remove the brownish color but will it cancel the effect of peat?

As for those commercial available PH down solutions, i have tested it with active carbon and it removes the PH down effect of those solutions and can cause a sudden rise in PH.

Anyone has already tested Peat and Active Carbon in their shrimp tank? Or experience the following?

Walter
2nd Sep 2005, 12:21 AM
Not sure about peat but I do know activated is able to trap many different chemical molecules. That's why most medications indicate not to use together with activated carbon.

dom
2nd Sep 2005, 11:07 AM
The peat moss will bring down the PH till 5. I don't think that is quite good for the shrimp tank. Because all of my shrimps was died when the PH drop to 6.2.

silane
2nd Sep 2005, 11:08 AM
Some brand of activated carbon rises PH (some brand has little effect) so if you put it with peat in a tank, the acidic effect of peat will be reduced or neutralised depending on the amount of peat and carbon.

simcb
2nd Sep 2005, 04:24 PM
I have managed so far to bring down the PH of my 4ft tank(still cycling) from 7.9 - 7.2 with peat. Just added in one big bag of AC, to see if the PH increases later tonight.

The tank water looks like tea OMG. :p

silane
3rd Sep 2005, 12:12 AM
What brand of peat do you use? Sera granular peat the best so far not to brown water.

retardo
3rd Sep 2005, 05:34 AM
The peat moss will bring down the PH till 5.

Really? The peat I use doesn't ever bring water down below 6.6 in my 20G.

simcb
5th Sep 2005, 09:30 AM
What brand of peat do you use? Sera granular peat the best so far not to brown water.

Weird i am using Sera granular Super peat which is turning the tank water brown. I place a bag of AC into the tank and the PH has increased to 7.6 from 7.2. :x Argh so AC does increase PH or rather absorb the peat in the water.

NanoDave
5th Sep 2005, 10:07 AM
I think AC comes with traces of phosphoric acid so they might actually bring down your pH if there is any effect on pH.. :)