PDA

View Full Version : Blue Tiger Question..

Phanizzzle
24th Nov 2009, 02:56 PM
Hey, I am planning to purchase some blue tiger shrimp soon and I have some questions. I know that you can keep blondes and blue tiger shrimp together, but I was wondering if that will affect the blue tiger shrimp's genes in producing more blue. Overtime will my blues be a majority of blondes? I can't really have another tank to do selective breeding so this is why I am asking. I love blue tigers and don't mind having blondes, but it takes the excitement out of me knowing that if I purchase blue tigers they will just be blonde in the long run. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Happy Holidays.

imke_j
24th Nov 2009, 08:42 PM
Hi, if you don't want to invest time and space to selection, start with Deep Blue Tiger and forget about the light (blondes).

Phanizzzle
24th Nov 2009, 10:35 PM
The breeder I'm purchasing it from is not sure if the blondes will turn blue or not. She has variations of blue tigers from deep blue to blondes. I am buying juvies and she says they will not color in until they mature abit so she is unsure on how blue the tigers will be. However I will definitely be getting blue tigers, just not sure about the young juvies.

imke_j
25th Nov 2009, 12:04 AM
You can judge a Blue Tiger Shrimp from 1-1,5 cm if it will be a Deep Blue Tiger. So don't chose the transparent ones ;)

dxiong5
25th Nov 2009, 03:32 AM
Hm, I purchased "Blue" Tigers before, with the seller claiming they will darken over time. These were 1/4"-1/2". Most (pretty much all) turned out to be blondes. I've also gotten Blue Tigers from another person at the same size and they were indeed blue already. You can tell from a small size whether they will be blue or not. If you say they will darken over time (when in fact they are blondes), you can sell them for higher. Bad business and no honesty.

Phanizzzle
25th Nov 2009, 01:14 PM
Thank you for the replies. I was lucky enough to get a 5 or 6 gal ellipse tank for free from a friend. I just need to purchase a filter and cycle my tank. I was wondering if I would be able to just buy a dual sponge filter and use that as my main filtration system or should I buy a reg filter (aquaclear 20). I want to purchase one or the other, any input? Thank you and happy holidays!

imke_j
25th Nov 2009, 01:34 PM
Some reg filters can be used in combination with an undergravel filter - perhaps worth a try... Sponge filters have to be cleaned more often, but I like them too ;)

Phanizzzle
25th Nov 2009, 02:11 PM
Do you have any recommendations? The undergravel filter seems interesting. I am sort of in a budget because I still have to purchase the blue tigers. I was just thinking about getting 1 filter but I am unsure which route to take. I have a 20g L which is currently house cherry shrimps and I run a AC50 with a sponge filter. Just want to be steered in the right direction on choosing the right filter. Would time for my cycle vary depending on the filter (sponge,chemical,etc)?

imke_j
25th Nov 2009, 02:37 PM
I would run this tank with a undergravel-air-combination if your air pump is ample. When you have more money, you can replace the air pump with a little canister filter (eden 501, eheim 2211 etc) if necessary. Ask the seller about his water parameter and decide about active or passive soil then. Undergravel filter cannot be run with sand or gravel with too small grains. Personally I would cycle this tank about 3 weeks minium.

Phanizzzle
25th Nov 2009, 02:56 PM
I already filled up the tank and used left over aquasoil from my 20g L. I was thinking about purchasing Azoo oxygen 2 with a air pump. Would that be sufficient enough? Or would I be better off getting an AC20? Thank you.

imke_j
25th Nov 2009, 03:34 PM
I would chose the Azoo Biofilter 2 (http://www.azoopalm.com/products/filtration/oxygen-plus-bio-filter/az13002-oxygen-plus-bio-filter-2/) then and clean it weekly. Offspring likes to sit and eat at these sponge filters and most of the hang on filter have not so much filter volume too.

Phanizzzle
25th Nov 2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am getting the Azoo bio 2 with an air pump probably like a 40gal one. Is it possible to cycle the tank with the sponge filter? Thank you!

dxiong5
25th Nov 2009, 10:39 PM
The benefits of a sponge filter over an HOB (hang on back) filter is the direct contact of the sponges with the water. The sponge pores allow for beneficial bacteria to grow, as well as microorganisms that shrimp like to feed upon. My shrimp are continually grazing on the sponges. I agree with with Imke has been saying.

dxiong5
25th Nov 2009, 10:40 PM
Cycling the tank with a new sponges will take time, 3-4 weeks minimum. Using old filter media or some old substrate from a mature tank will assist in speeding up the cyclying process. It's important to check your water parameters thoroughly before adding any shrimp, especially somewhat sensitive ones such as Blue Tigers.

Phanizzzle
26th Nov 2009, 02:36 AM
Thanks dxiong5. I am planning to clean the sponge on my sponge filter in my 20g L by squeezing it over the new tank and in hopes of having my new sponge filter build up some bacteria through that.