PDA

View Full Version : Ph questions- Ada amazonia?

NeyaNey
18th Nov 2009, 09:17 PM
I'm using city tap water that in water quality reports should be 7.6 chlorinated run through limestone to buffer.

The ph of my tank is reading 6.2-6.4 and 0 ammonia. Gravel- no peat, driftwood was only in for 1 day as it wouldn't sink. Sponge filters and a canister with sponges and 1/2 cup of crushed coral.

I'm going to get a ph kit to figure out exactly my taps ph and if/when it drops. I'm also going to get a GH/kh. But I'm curious if Ada Amazonia only buffers high ph down or if it would raise my ph to 6.8? I'm hoping to setup a CRS tank and want a dark soil and plants. But my main interest is in keeping CRS happy and healthy

NeyaNey
19th Nov 2009, 07:53 AM
Well I so far could only get a 6.0-7.6ph kit.

Tap is 7.6(or higher). Tank is 6.4. Leaving out a cup of tap water tonight to see if it's affected after 24 hours.

My guess is the kH is really low here, causing a big swing.
After checking out city water quality report for last year alkalinity is 4.5-15 ppm range, according to one site that's like 0.2-0.84 dKh

MananaP
22nd Dec 2009, 06:33 PM
Well I so far could only get a 6.0-7.6ph kit.

Tap is 7.6(or higher). Tank is 6.4. Leaving out a cup of tap water tonight to see if it's affected after 24 hours.

My guess is the kH is really low here, causing a big swing.
After checking out city water quality report for last year alkalinity is 4.5-15 ppm range, according to one site that's like 0.2-0.84 dKh

ADA soil lowers your PH ideal for plant growth, if you want crs then you should be ok using ADA. I too use ADA on my CRS tank and my PH has been stable at 6.0-6.2(i inject co2 24/7 at a very low bubble rate for the plants). My tap also is sitting on 7.4-7.6ph, i hope this helped you in some way.

NeyaNey
22nd Dec 2009, 10:44 PM
ADA soil lowers your PH ideal for plant growth, if you want crs then you should be ok using ADA. I too use ADA on my CRS tank and my PH has been stable at 6.0-6.2(i inject co2 24/7 at a very low bubble rate for the plants). My tap also is sitting on 7.4-7.6ph, i hope this helped you in some way.

I'm thinking my kh is way to low for Ada. City reports say it's between 0.2-0.8 degrees.
I've been doing very small(10%) WCs 1x week. The ph has slowly gone from 6.4 to 6.0 (or lower) as my kit only tests 6.0.
I wasn't planning on using any hard to grow plants, so I'd probably be better with a slight buffering up. Not really to mess with ph but to stabalize everything.
So far the shrimp are happy, I add in tums for
calcium carbonate and it hasn't affected ph in the 55gal. The shrimp love them. In an empty tester smaller tank(5gal) 1/4 tums tablet brings ph to 6.8.

Goalwise overall I'd like to move the RCS to the 5gal and use the 55 for CRS but I know they are much more sensitive to changes.

dxiong5
23rd Dec 2009, 02:33 AM
If your shrimp are doing well and you have not noticed any strains on them, I wouldn't worry too much about your water parameters. What would be worse is if you try to raise your pH and your shrimp react negatively to the change. Though not pertaining to ADA Aquasoil directly, this will help you with some of your water chemistry: http://www.shrimpnow.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=73

MananaP
30th Dec 2009, 05:47 AM
I'm thinking my kh is way to low for Ada. City reports say it's between 0.2-0.8 degrees.
I've been doing very small(10%) WCs 1x week. The ph has slowly gone from 6.4 to 6.0 (or lower) as my kit only tests 6.0.
I wasn't planning on using any hard to grow plants, so I'd probably be better with a slight buffering up. Not really to mess with ph but to stabalize everything.
So far the shrimp are happy, I add in tums for
calcium carbonate and it hasn't affected ph in the 55gal. The shrimp love them. In an empty tester smaller tank(5gal) 1/4 tums tablet brings ph to 6.8.

Goalwise overall I'd like to move the RCS to the 5gal and use the 55 for CRS but I know they are much more sensitive to changes.

If i may ask, is this a newly set up tank with new soil? If so, i found that ADA soil tends to lower the PH to 6.0 or more in it's first 1-1.5months. My KH also sits on 0-1c from the tap. What i did was throw 2-3 small pcs of crushed corals on your canister and let your water buffer. I found that doing this will stabilize your water to about PH6.0-6.4 KH 2 in a month or two of putting the corals in the canister. Mind you this process is good for your shrimps because this is a very slow proces of raising your PH & KH. Well i hope this helps GL...

Stephen

Francesco B
31st Dec 2009, 02:38 AM
I actually use acqua soil amazonia in my crs tank and i don't notice big variations of water parameters in my tank, i can suggest you to wait about 2 month for the stabilization of your soil :)