PDA

View Full Version : Discus and Shrimp

Candice
29th Aug 2005, 12:55 AM
Are discus and shrimp a viable combination? My boyfriend is considering turning his planted tank into a shrimp tank. He currently has a black ghost knife which he knows will have to go. He also has a leopard ctenopoma, clown plecos, a whiptail pleco and a few golden rams.

What fish would be able to stay, which will have to go?

Thanks in advance.

silane
30th Aug 2005, 01:51 AM
Only the plecos should stay, others will eat shrimps or shrimplets.

Discus and shrimps are no no, although discus are shy when come to eating, they will definately fine shrimp as live food enticing.

ganesha
30th Aug 2005, 11:34 PM
The temprature in a discustank is too high for shrimps also.

Walter
2nd Sep 2005, 12:24 AM
Yup only the plecos can stay. But it is not 100% garantee as well. I've seen my pleco attack a ghost shrimp. Otos will be a better choice but it is best to keep shrimps alone to their own species. :)

It'll be worth it as well, shrimps look really good and interesting to watch in a planted tank. :D

dom
2nd Sep 2005, 11:05 AM
I have a clown and whiptail pleco also. They are kinda aggressive when feeding time. I believe the body weight of the pleco will crash a shrimp. :joking: Or the way they swim...hit and run. Will cause the shrimp die also.

Discus...No no no. I was keeping Discus with my yamato. They will attack the yamato when they are "kinda free". Beside that, the discus was taking my yamato shrimplets as their buffer dinner.

zip
30th Oct 2005, 09:18 AM
Are discus and shrimp a viable combination? My boyfriend is considering turning his planted tank into a shrimp tank. He currently has a black ghost knife which he knows will have to go. He also has a leopard ctenopoma, clown plecos, a whiptail pleco and a few golden rams.

What fish would be able to stay, which will have to go?

Thanks in advance.

If you really wanted a nice shrimp tank with multiply generation,no other fishes should be keep together with the shrimps ,even the smallest tetra fish could be able to eat baby shrimps which are extremely tiny that we don't take notice.

regards

ice-cream
1st Nov 2005, 09:54 AM
Shrimp and discus cannot co-exist in the tank. I had a experience of putting yamatos with discus thinking yamotos should be big enough and they wouldn't be eaten. To my surprise, my population of yamato wipe out after 1 week. I have even seen my oto stuck in the mouth of a discus!!!

NanoDave
1st Nov 2005, 11:13 AM
discus are cichlids.. very aggressive! :D

dom
2nd Nov 2005, 07:10 AM
discus are cichlids.. very aggressive! :D

101% agree.... :cool:

Huatzzzz
2nd Nov 2005, 07:13 AM
I have keep green shrimp with golden ram before and had seem them attacking my shrimplets, they leave them adult alone. But i have many driftwood as hiding place and don,t your shrimp population to multiple much.

eyal
11th Nov 2005, 05:41 AM
In heavily planted tank it is possible to combine those two ,but still discus will eat shrimp when they cross there pass http://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/images/smiles/117.gif

droid
13th Apr 2008, 07:37 PM
The first six months months that I kept RCS and discus together, I never had much more than the six RCS I started with. The tank was moderately planted. Three months after I planted the tank heavily, I had an explosion in shrimp.

The discus need to be healthy, because you will have to keep them on the lower end of their temperature range. My tank (78F), pH 6.6-6.8, KH 4, GH 6, NO3 0-20.

The shrimp typically escapes the discus on the first pass. If the shrimp swims down or away it escapes. If the shrimp swims up, it is vulnerable. Thus, a clearing in the tank is where they get eaten. If there is no open gravel, then the shrimp do very well. With no open gravel, The discus cannot get to all the food, so care must be taken not to overfeed.

Discus especially like to eat bright red adult female cherry shrimp. The red is like a magnet. However, If the discus are well fed, they will swim right by. As I said, those shrimp are hard to catch, so why waste the energy.

Go Pens!
droid