PDA

View Full Version : Hemigraphis colorata exotica + shrimp?

mopas
25th Sep 2009, 04:56 PM
hi all! i read somewhere that a nice purple plant (hemigraphis colorata exotica) no photos , no camera) is not a true aquarium plant,
and it has strange (possibly not shrimp compatible?)properties?!! I cant refind the internet thread for the life of me!!
any ideas? so far it hasnt rotted and its been 5 months +-. my crs and offspring dont seem to mind hanging out on it..
regards

mopas
25th Sep 2009, 05:12 PM
the funny thing is its looking good and not dying.. the properties i found recently was 25% increased wound healing speed in mice! I am sure i read something about them and shrimp....

louuu
25th Sep 2009, 09:53 PM
U mean this plant???

Scientific Name: Hemigraphis colorata
Family: Acanthaceae

Here's a write-up:
Hemigraphis colorata (Hemigraphis alternata) broad leaf is a very popular plant for the aquarium. With bright crimson undersides and dark green upper surface, it's leaves have a hammered appearance which makes the plant doubly attractive. A fairly easy plant to grow if the aquarium has a rich substrate and good lighting. Propagate by cuttings that form adventitious roots on the nodes of the slightly hairy stems.

Height: 12-25 cm
Width: 8-15 cm
Light requirements: low-high
Temperature: 18-28°C
Hardness tolerance: soft-hard
pH tolerance: 6-8
Growth: medium
Demands: medium

A terrarium plant sometimes used in aquariums and goldfish bowls. Can be used as a decorative plant, but only lasts a few months. The good balance of an aquarium is disturbed if there are too many of this type of plant. Not eaten by herbivorous fish.

This plant is also called Murikoodi (Hemigraphis colorata) from the fact that it is a quick healer of fresh cuts and wounds. Muri or murivu in Malayalam means a cut or wound and kooduka means to gather and here it refers to wound healing. Thus murikoodi can be translated into a wound-healer.

Habitat
Use as tropical ground cover or as an attractive hanging basket. Grows best in part shade, moist soil. Growing naturally in moist evergreen forests in India, also as a garden plant.

Medicinal and herbal
Different experiments have proved the effectiveness of this herb with red-purple stem and leaves in curing wounds and its antiseptic properties. One medicinal name is Murikootti (Murikoodi). It cures fresh wound, cuts, ulcers, inflammation, it is used internally for anemia.

Hemigraphis colorata Exotica
H. colorata Exotica has crinkled leaves. Though these plants are capable of tolerating full sunlight, they may get scorched if the climate is dry.

mopas
25th Sep 2009, 10:17 PM
yes thats the one! thanks for that louuu.
the bit i read about that worried me was ¨¨the good balance of an aquarium is disturbed if too much of this plant....¨
Any ideas anyone?
I would like to learn about it as i really will be sad to have to get rid of it...:(

ndrake
26th Sep 2009, 02:21 AM
I had this plant once!
If you break off a leaf then a white substance comes out of it.
I removed it because my shrimps were dying after I did so.

mopas
27th Sep 2009, 01:45 AM
thanks ndrake. i will remove soon!

gesre
30th Jun 2010, 11:06 PM
hello!
im very much happy that i found this site.
actually im not here to discuss about shrimps since i barely know it. (all i know is, it is food)
i am just curious on how this plant HEMIGRAPHIS ALTERNATA affects shrimps since i will be doing test on its toxicity with the use of brine shimp. (S. Aureus). since i read some accounts that it is toxic, then i might get a positive result with my studies, and i would be able to calculate its lethal concentration, and therefore i can prove whether it is harmful or not to some aquatic species

Zakk
1st Jul 2010, 06:24 AM
that plant will kill anything if u snap its leaves off in the water. the white secretion is quite dangerous to animals when digested but when applied locally it has quite the healin properties.

gesre
5th Jul 2010, 02:18 PM
that plant will kill anything if u snap its leaves off in the water. the white secretion is quite dangerous to animals when digested but when applied locally it has quite the healin properties.

yeah. i had read some studies about its antibacterial and antimicrobial bioactivity. that's why I'm also testing it for the presence of phytochemicals in it

gesre
9th Nov 2010, 12:12 AM
just wanted to undo my last post, what i mean as my test materials for toxicity is the Brine shrimp or artemia salina, not the S. aureus. S. aureus is a bacteria and was used for the antibacterial assay.

moispogma
10th May 2011, 02:25 AM
лишениям, связанным с бедностью (плохое питание, отсутствие каких бы то ни
было удобств и пр.). Заметим далее, что за материальное разорение семьи
женщина несет обыкновенно только косвенную ответственность, благодаря чему
избавлена, по крайней мере, от тех угрызений совести и нравственных
страданий, которые выпадают так часто на долю мужчины. С другой стороны, и