PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Controller to control fan.

davruns
22nd Sep 2009, 04:23 AM
Is anyone using some type of a temperature controller to control a surface blowing fan? My temps are perfect when the a/c is on and running, but it's set to shut off when we're at work. I know that the fast fix is to just run the whole house a/c all day, but i'm on a budget.

It would be similar to an a/c thermostat that senses temperature and turns on and shuts off the a/c unit, but it would have to have some sort of waterproof probe. I don't mind doing some modding to connect it to the fan, just wondering if anything like this exists.

Thanks!
David

divyb
22nd Sep 2009, 11:08 PM
Im very curious in this too!

can anyone help out?, cause Aussie summers get very hot

louuu
23rd Sep 2009, 12:03 AM
hi,

not sure if this can be modified for your needs... it actually a "Proportional Thermoelectric Controller for IceProbes"

here is the description and specs:

Proportional Thermoelectric Controller for IceProbes. The exact temperature set point is fixed by adjusting with a Philips head set point dial. These controllers feature an 18 inch long waterproof temperature sensor and all the electrical connections to allow for simple installation between the IceProbe and the Power Converter.

The Temp Controller is not required for use with the ice probe but makes setting a set point possible

Temperature Controllers
Coolworks Proportional Temperature Controllers are available in four preset temperature ranges. The exact temperature set point is fixed by adjusting a Philips head set point dial. Our controllers feature an 18 inch long waterproof temperature sensor and all the electrical connections to allow for simple installation between the IceProbe and the Power Converter.

Temperature Controller Specifications:
Dimensions: 3.25x 2 x .75
Weight: .5 pounds including cords
Temperature Sensor: Waterproof, 18 long
Power Cords: 26 long to IceProbe; 13 long to power supply; 4-Pin Connectors
Electrical: Operates at 9 to 15 volt DC, 7 amps max; controls 1 IceProbe

here's a pic:

freakyshrimp
23rd Sep 2009, 05:08 AM
If you search the most popular auction site for an ATC 800 you should be able to get one shipped to the USA. I know lots of people here in the Uk use them for small marine tanks, I myself use a Habistat Cool Control because they are just plug in and go devices which were originally made for temperature control in vivariums. You probably have something similar in your reptile stores. Hope this helps Joanne.

silane
23rd Sep 2009, 05:40 PM
Frankly, use of temperture to control a fan is a waste of money. The effectiveness of a fan able to lower water temperature is limited and expected.

Why not just use a simple timer to turn on the fan at the hotter hours?

retardo
24th Sep 2009, 05:43 AM
I agree with silane. The fact is that even if you are able to install a temp control for a fan, the fan's effectiveness may be limited and the desired temp will never be reached regardless of how long you run the fan. If you want true temperature control, you'd be looking at a chiller. As you are on a budget, this may not be the best solution, since budget-wise you are looking not only the cost of the chiller itself, but the cost to run it as well. Silane's solution works as well, if you're looking only to keep the temperature down slightly.

mopas
25th Sep 2009, 06:34 AM
i think i saw some weipro temp controllers on ebay and some other new aquarium electronics..:)

ash
27th Sep 2009, 02:52 PM
for me, fans only helps to reduce water temp by around 1 - 3 degrees in the day time. If that reduction is not enough, best to run a/c or chiller..

another down side of fan is the increase in water evaporation. Singapore is pretty hot too. =(

davruns
27th Sep 2009, 03:07 PM
that atc800 looks like a great solution...but since I'll be using it in the US, i need it to run with 110volts. Is there another version or some way to step it down?

Also, thx for the info on the fan cooling technique. I have another question for you guys... I know that crs do well at certain temps...72-74f, but how do daily temperature fluctuations affect crs. For example, day time temp of 75 and night temp of 72...is that too much fluctuation?

THanks!!!

gr81
27th Sep 2009, 03:24 PM
I use fan too. Without I have 28c (26c room). With (running full time) it drops to 23c within 1 hour. So I use controller to be around 25c. If it is colder here, It can drop to 18 or less.
Thermocontroller is good frend of me :) (I use very cheap room thermostat (for 12usd, DIY modified)

davruns
28th Sep 2009, 02:06 AM
Wow, a cheap diy thermostat controller is exactly what i need. Is there any way you can post some plans or just a brief guide?

THanks!!!!