PDA

View Full Version : Best shrimp specific water conditioner?

mopas
18th Sep 2009, 06:54 PM
Hi all , thought i would open a new thread regarding the new shrimp specific water conditioners... does anyone use them yet?

so far i have found. please add others..:)

- Jbl biotopol c
- Sera blackwater aquatan

please add comments on parameters and if gh kh change, cloudiness etc..

thanks

wifi
18th Sep 2009, 09:54 PM
Came across a new water conditioner news from Mosura, Shizhen, look like the product is made base on shrimps natural living condition. I am still waiting for it to reach our shore. Has anyone use it yet?

Frank
19th Sep 2009, 04:57 AM
I have Jbl biotopol c but not tested yet.
Im sure it works but others do as well.

seetharam
19th Sep 2009, 05:38 AM
Nice thread ...... Would be very informational.

One suggestion .... Would be good to add what is the speciality of each of the products

louuu
19th Sep 2009, 06:23 PM
here's the Shizen Natural Water Conditioner (http://www.assaaqua.com/mosura-shrimps-products/water-enhancer/water-conditioner-for-shrimps) write up by ASSAAqua...

LFS dont have it yet thou...

mopas
13th Oct 2009, 04:15 AM
Do any of them remove cloramines ? what does?

imke_j
13th Oct 2009, 12:51 PM
Do any of them remove cloramines ? what does?
JBL Biotopol C (http://www.jbl.de/factmanager/frame_page.php?action=show&PageMode=2&IdType=2&Id=630&linklabel=Biotopol+C) does remove chlorines and is shrimp safe.

mopas
14th Oct 2009, 04:19 AM
very interesting thankyou

Dusko
17th Oct 2009, 03:03 PM
I am very satisfied with Easy Life FFM (Fluid Filter Medium). It is based on volcanic rock powder and other powdered cation exchange media. My shrimps go crazy filtering the water when I dose this stuff (e.g. Atya gabonensis, but other shrimps like RCS and Amano react great to it too).

Easy Life FFM is also great for new set-ups which can bind cations and thus keep low NH4 and NO2 down in the start. Definitely good stuff for aquariums which do not use clay based substrate (planted tanks) or Zeolite in their filters.

EDIT; another good conditioner is Sera Bio-Nitrivec (NOTE!!! Bio ) . The older version of Sera Nitrivec is useless IME, but this new stuff is very likely a copy of Easy Life FFM, but does work very well. In my experience shrimps love water which is not saturated in lipids/proteins and these two products do exactly that, they bind such protein stuff (as well as remove turbidity) and sink it to the bottom where bacteria can transform these further via nitrification.

Again all this happens in nature in a natural cation exchange way because in the nature underneath the sand is soil/clay which does this. Most of our aquariums have only gravel and glass under it ;-) so such cation exchange media once a week is actually necessary imo (not that much in older systems which have developed lots of aquarium mulm in the gravel which also has a good cation exchange capacity)

Regards, Dusko

mopas
22nd Oct 2009, 07:12 PM
thanks for the useful information dusko. I am also using bionitrivec and i am happy with the results!
I will have to try and track down easylife products in spain..