PDA

View Full Version : Testing equipment for a CRS tank.

craigthor
16th Aug 2009, 08:21 AM
Well I'm getting some new equipment for testing.

I'm getting a Hanna PH/TDS/Temp pen to monitor PH and TDS. What would be a good TDS for my Mosura CRS/CBS tank?

I've thought about getting a controller to monitor but I don't have room left in my stand to mount it inline so I figured a pen would be good with a daily routine of monitoring the waters parameters.

I'll monitor TDS, PH, NO2, NO3, NH4, Temp, Gh, and Kh. Tank is filled via RO water treated with Mosura Mineral Plus.

Craig

icex08
21st Aug 2009, 01:02 AM
Hi craigthor, can you tell me wat brand you using now? cause i intend to buy 1, but i dont know which brand got all this function? how much it cause you ?

craigthor
21st Aug 2009, 11:43 AM
Hi craigthor, can you tell me wat brand you using now? cause i intend to buy 1, but i dont know which brand got all this function? how much it cause you ?

I currently use API test kits, I hope to soon have the Hanna Hand Held PH pen for quick testing the water but hte API kits works too.

Craig

silane
19th Sep 2009, 06:43 PM
Well I'm getting some new equipment for testing.

I'm getting a Hanna PH/TDS/Temp pen to monitor PH and TDS. What would be a good TDS for my Mosura CRS/CBS tank?

I've thought about getting a controller to monitor but I don't have room left in my stand to mount it inline so I figured a pen would be good with a daily routine of monitoring the waters parameters.

I'll monitor TDS, PH, NO2, NO3, NH4, Temp, Gh, and Kh. Tank is filled via RO water treated with Mosura Mineral Plus.

Craig

http://www.silaneshrimp.com/images/misc/testkits.jpg
This is what I am using, I dont use them so much these day. Alternative brand is Sera, it is good as well.

A good investment will be TDS meter, brand is not really a concern, but if you switch one brand to another, you may get different reading because of the multipler they have in it to convert conductivity to PPM. Once you got a hang of the TDS meter, correlating with GH degree, you can don't use GH test kits anymore. Now I rise my GH using Mosura Mineral Plus and just check it with TDS value, and from there I can estimate the GH.

fastlane
20th Sep 2009, 03:46 PM
Is it necessary to test for TDS? I only test for GH currently. Does low GH means a low TDS? And the other way round as well? I have been adding mineral plus and some mineral power. But the GH doesn't go up. I am worried if I continue to add the minerals and I do not track the TDS. Something will happen sooner or later.