PDA

View Full Version : Proposed experiement for color and vigor in Cherry Shrimp

gnatster
19th Aug 2005, 10:56 PM
A member here was nice enough to send me some S-1 to try with the caveat that I report my findings. Along the same lines I have been feeding some home made foods to my shrimp. Lets find out if these things make a difference.

Here is my plan to run these experiments.

Set up 4 2.5gal (~10l) tanks. All will have the exact same type of ATI Hydro Sponge filter. I have sponges sitting in the sump of another tank for 2+ weeks to seed them. Measure the substrate level by volume and provide the same to each tank. For livestock I have many few month old but not yet mature Cherry Red Shrimp, Im thinking starting with 6 in each . I think they make a good choice here as they grow quick and reproduce easily. My water supply is very constant being a deep well, very low in KH, GH and a fairly neutral pH all year long. All tanks would have same 50% weekly water change or same amount. Ill mark the tank level at full and at water change level to keep that the same. All 4 tanks would be under the same light source removing bulb effects from coloration. On hand a good bit of Java moss for cover to be divided evenly between the 4.

In this experiment we are looking for 2 things.

1. Does S-1 do anything?
2. What results do we see from feeding Fruity Pumpkin Crisps?

Tank 1 Control Feed varied diet*
Tank 2- S-1a Feed varied diet*, Dose S-1 at package directions of 1 drop per 10l to start and at water changes.
Tank 3 S-1b- Feed varied diet*, Dose S-1 at package directions of 1 drop per 10l to start and at water changes.
Tank 4 FPC Feed only Fruity Pumpkin Crisps

I dont have the facilities to weigh each shrimp to determine mass gain, we will have to do that by eye. We can watch for coloration. Photos all to be taken at same time of each tank inhabitants with same camera at same settings with no post production save for cropping and resizing.

I think this should run until at least 1 generation has grown to produce offspring.

*Varied diet to consist of the following:
Hikari Crab Cuisine
Hikari Algae Wafers
Cyclopeeze Flake
Nisso Spiral Shell Food
HBH Shrimp Pellets
Julian Sprung Sea Veggies Green Seaweed (Porphura yezoensis)

What say we leave this portion open to comment for 1 week, then revisit to see if any changes are proposed. Then setup this experiment within a week of comments being finalized.

silane
19th Aug 2005, 11:23 PM
gnatster,

Since cherry shrimps are prolific breeder, an extra female can make the difference of the number of offsprings, the ratio of sexes of the shrimps should be the same for all the tanks. That's my thought.

gnatster
19th Aug 2005, 11:34 PM
gnatster,

Since cherry shrimps are prolific breeder, an extra female can make the difference of the number of offsprings, the ratio of sexes of the shrimps should be the same for all the tanks. That's my thought.

Yes I thought about that. There are a few ways to address this.

1. Once gender is identifable remove all shrimp leaving one pair in each tank.

2. Start with a greater number and reduce levels once gender can be determined leaving an equal amount of males and females in each tank.

3. Wait until gender can be determined in enough pairs to start experiment with 1-2 pairs per tank.

I don't think the third method is viable as one of the items to be determined is if there is any effect on the time to reach maturity.

Of course I am open to other suggestions.

ganesha
28th Aug 2005, 12:50 AM
Someone told me there's a small amount of copper in Hikari Algae Wafers
does anybody know if this is true?

gnatster
28th Aug 2005, 08:39 PM
Hikari does not list copper in the ingredients, where other brands such as HBH and Wardley's, do

Jane of Upton
1st Feb 2006, 02:30 AM
Hey Gnatster,

any results yet? Anything to report? This sounded like a good experiment!
-Jane

beelove
1st Feb 2006, 03:26 PM
What is S-1?

Beviking
1st Feb 2006, 08:41 PM
I'm not familiar with S-1 either :huh:

I think you should grow the initial stock to maturity under the same conditions (same tank?), then pair them off, maybe 2 pairs per tank. Then run the experiment using the offspring as targets. Just seems to be less variables that way.

-Be

silane
1st Feb 2006, 09:09 PM
This is S-1.

http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=214&stc=1
http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=215&stc=1
http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=216&stc=1

After some prolonged testing, it appears to me as a CRS killer rather than a saver.

Whoever wants to test the product, I would advise to use 50% of standard dosage for a start.

Beviking
1st Feb 2006, 09:34 PM
This is S-1.
...After some prolonged testing, it appears to me as a CRS killer rather than a saver.

Whoever wants to test the product, I would advise to use 50% of standard dosage for a start.

:shocked: No thank you!

-Be

amber2461
2nd Feb 2006, 12:50 AM
EE - o - o - Ouch !!!

gnatster
2nd Feb 2006, 06:54 AM
Due to an unexpected move and picking up so many new varieties of shrimp I didn't have the tank space to pull this off. I do have the S1 on hand and I am in the planning ang fund gathering stage of creating a new rack. Hopefully soon I will have it all funded and built, then I can revisit this idea.