PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to lower my PH?

crazyhanz
5th Aug 2009, 04:56 AM
Hey guys. I just got myself a PH test kit and I realized that the PH in my tank is 7. I'm rearing CRS and intend to breed them. Would this be suitable for breeding? I'm tempted to add peat in my canister but I'm afraid of altering it too much. I can't change my soil as I have no place to keep the CRS if I do so. Any guys from Singapore successfully bred CRS with a PH of 7? Thanks in advance.

dxiong5
5th Aug 2009, 10:20 AM
pH = 7 should be okay; some people reported succefully breeding CRS in the U.S. in pH = 7.4 - 7.6. Also be sure to check your GH, KH, nitrates, and ammonia.

crazyhanz
5th Aug 2009, 11:32 AM
Yes I've heard it that some guys in US successfully breed them at higher pH's. However I've yet to hear it coming from people around our region. And it is true that if I make smaller water changes every week, the water will become softer as time goes on? My last water change was a 50% one as I was dosing fertilizers according to EI. But now I've decided to keep to normal fertilization methods.

sifreaks
1st Sep 2009, 08:53 AM
hi crazyhanz, me too facing the same dilemma as u. didn't know what's the main caused of my ph which started off from 6.5 but after nearly a week rised to 7. kind of worried for my precious crs:cry:
will changing of water regularly(once a week) in small amount(10%) helps?

crazyhanz
1st Sep 2009, 10:31 AM
In my case, changing of water did not have an effect as my tap water's pH is high as it is.
I managed to lower the pH to a more ideal level with the help of CO2 injection though.

sifreaks
2nd Sep 2009, 08:35 AM
In my case, changing of water did not have an effect as my tap water's pH is high as it is.
I managed to lower the pH to a more ideal level with the help of CO2 injection though.

hmm, i've heard about the co2 thingy. but will it help in the long run? anyway thanx for ur input bro;)