PDA

View Full Version : Tank Mates ( Zebra Loach / Botia striata)

dissident
18th Aug 2005, 10:59 AM
Has anyone had any experiences keeping Neocardina with a zebra loach, or a community if zebra loaches?
They are a good snail eaters but I am courious if they would devistate an entire population of neocardinas if they were introduced to the aquarium. I don't seem to have a problem with amano shrimp and these loaches, but the amano are quite a bit larger than any neocardina species out there.

Some info on zebra loaches:

The Botia Striata should be kept with peaceful species and likes its own company of about 4-6. These loaches aren't that often seen in shops although they are common in some areas of the world. Retreats should be provided for this species to hide on occasions. This species likes to school during the day. Younger specimens have slightly less dense stripes than adults. The Botia Striata is commonly confused with Botia hymenophysa and sometimes Botia helodes. This fish also destroys unwanted snails and other unwanted water pests. Some common names for this loach are: Zebra Loach, Tiger Loach, Thin lined Loach and Yellow lined Loach. Plants are appreciated by this species as it will most likely hide in them during the day. This Botia is most friendly with Clown loaches, Dario loaches, and sometimes Botia Lohachata. The maximum size that I have kept this species at is 3 inches. Soft substrate is preferred for this fish to search for food. They will accept flaked foods, sinking tablets (also sinking wafers), and frozen and live aquatic worms. I would not recommend to kept this Botia species alone. Botia Striata make a wonderful addition to any community aquarium. On occasions, this fish will chase or lightly fight against each other. This is not serious as they are not usually aggressive. I hope this information will help people in the future to learn about this great type of Botia.

Quoted from loaches online (http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/botia_striata.html)

silane
18th Aug 2005, 12:19 PM
I have no experience on Zebra Loach with shrimps, base what you mentioned, they are snailer eater, it makes me thick thrice before mixing them. Base on their size, baby shrimps can fit into their mouths.

simcb
18th Aug 2005, 12:42 PM
I have no experience with loaches.

If you plan to breed shrimps, try to keep the fish count in your tank at minimium. Max 1-2 just to eat the worms,slug or rotifiers.

If you are not planning to breed shrimps, there shouldn't be any problem with adult Neocardina species.

I still find that shrimps breed best without fishes.

dissident
18th Aug 2005, 03:03 PM
I already have a breeder tank for them, where they are getting out of hand. 55gal guppy fry tank where they breed like crazy and in a 6gal nano tank where they breed like mad too. I'll try it out and see what happens, theres plenty of hideing spots in the tank.

Cukierpudel
12th Oct 2007, 06:19 AM
Hi there. Have you bought the Botia Striata? I'm planning to buy about three myself , but want to keep my shrimps save.

Cold
12th Oct 2007, 09:33 AM
Hi,
I tried to introduce some Caridina Japonica in a tank with Puntius denisonii, Crossocheilus siamensis, Chromobotia macracanthus and Botia histrionica - never seen them again. the same with an overload of Red Fire.
After I don't think the barbes killed them, I wouldn't dare to keep shrimps with loaches again. If you want to try it, test with some cheap shrimps, although this is no guarantee. I often read posts in forums, where users tell about successfull tries with all kind of fish of or beyond 10 cm length, and after a while the fish found it's taste for shrimps.
Another problem might be the reaction time. I also tried apple snails in that tank - silly me, but the loaches were young, and I had hundreds of apples - it worked for over a month and I added more snails in that time, in the end it were about 15. One evening I saw a Chromobotia macracanthus digging one of them, finally she got it. I don't know how they did it, but after 1 hour, any Chromobotia was hunting, digging and eating apples. Kind of communication I think, but weird to see how they adapt.

Regards
Cold

Cukierpudel
12th Oct 2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have an internet friend who succesfully keeps some babaulti with Botia Striata - which is probably one of the smallest botias. But anyway, I breed my Red Cherries in community tank , with Black Neon Tetras and this works rather fine. I don't want to add any competition for the botom feeders (shrimps). The reason I wanted the botia is for snails control. But I think it would be easier to make "raw food" for the shrimp of them then to introduce botias and mess up the harmony of the tank.

I heard the botias suck out the snails from their shells.

There is a snails eating snail available in Germany , You have probably come across it before. I'm trying to get some of them for me as they rather interesting creatures :-)

Its called "Anentome helena" .

Cold
12th Oct 2007, 10:08 AM
Hi,
A good choice I think, does no harm to shrimps, keeps the tank snail-free, eats any kind of normal food. As far as I read about them, you need sand and pH over 6.5.
Hope you post some of your experience during the next months - I'm interested in that snails too.

Cukierpudel
12th Oct 2007, 10:23 AM
Sure I will.
If I get some of them.

Koi Boy
13th Oct 2007, 08:28 AM
shrimps make good food for loaches of all types
loaches have got a bony tongue that are designed to break open shells
and exoskeletons

Leonard
14th Oct 2007, 11:58 PM
My yellow shrimps, golden eyed Tigers and Caridina "Malaya" are fine with Panaque maccus, but Corydoras (not the dwarfs) ate some small ones.

Anyone having experice of Amano together with Dwarf Botias (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki)? I guess it is impossible with a bit larger Botia, like Botia striata (very nice one I belive)?

sorab
19th Oct 2007, 09:56 AM
I have had no problem with amano/yamato and dwarf botias they have been together for two years.

Leonard
19th Oct 2007, 06:35 PM
Great! Then I will probobly try Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki with my Amanos, if I buy small Botias in the store, the Amanos have the possibility to grow larger when the Dwarf Botias also grow larger.

waterfaller1
19th Oct 2007, 11:01 PM
How about Kuhli loaches?