PDA

View Full Version : Help me please!!!!! with the correct form to oxigenate the water of my tank

Askabaaal
14th Jul 2009, 10:40 PM
Hy!!! I have a problem....I lost four crystal in the last weeks...I think it is for a bad oxygenate in my tank....I have the eheim 2210 with the flute moving the superficial water....Itīs a correct form? Or I should push up the flute to broke the superficial water? Thanks everybody!!!! Help me please!!!!!

nanonoob
14th Jul 2009, 11:09 PM
i wouldnt claim to be an expert at this, but to have the flute breaking the water surface will definitely introduce oxygen into the water, plus prevent/ get rid of the protein layer building up on the water surface.

however if you are really sure the problem is from poor oxygenation, maybe the introduction of more plants/ oxygen via an air pump might be the way to go.

Ghanguss
14th Jul 2009, 11:46 PM
Breaking the surface will give more oxygen.

Is the water moving on the surface at all? If its moving that should be enough unless you have alot of shrimp in the tank

Do you have CO2?

retardo
15th Jul 2009, 03:08 AM
Are there any other changes to your tank recently? If there are, I would look to those as culprits for the deaths before oxygenation. As Ghanguss mentioned, if there is already surface movement from the output of your spraybar/flute, there should be enough oxygen in your tank to maintain the livestock. Run an airstone and see if this changes the situation; there is no need to adjust the spraybar just yet.

Askabaaal
15th Jul 2009, 04:51 AM
I donīt have Co2...In this tank there are 8 adults and 20 shrimplets......It has 40 liters. The last week I change the disposition of the plants and I retired any mosses, and I syphon the gravel...I see the water parameters and itīs ok. I donīt know what happen!!!! I only have in this tank a plant of round pellia and Microsorum pteropus...

Askabaaal
15th Jul 2009, 04:52 AM
And my shrimps are inactive....I put mosura in the tank and only one or two shrimps eat it!!!!

Ghanguss
15th Jul 2009, 08:35 AM
Maybe you have upset the bacteria in the filter / substrate and have ammonia in the tank?

Or when you disturbed the substrate you have released some toxin.

Are shrimp behaving normal now? If not I would consider a small water change.

Ghanguss
15th Jul 2009, 08:37 AM
Also 8 shrimp and babies is OK for that tank so oxygen is not the likely problem

nanonoob
15th Jul 2009, 09:33 AM
i tend to agree with ganghuss on the substrate theory. About a year back ago I almost wiped out my entire CRS population as I was constantly planting and replanting, shifting plants around on the substrate. And these were the plants which are rooted rather deeply into substrate. This constant rescaping take place over a week, and within that week, there were deaths everyday. Finally at the end of that week, I only had around 8 left from the original 50. All shrimplets perished, and none of the adult females were able to moult successfuly. All died after moulting.

In the end, I had to do something drastic. I replaced all the substrate, changed 50% water, housed the shrimps in a temp tank with original filter media, got the tank rescaped, re-introduced them back into the rescaped tank with totally new substrate. then while they were back in the tank, i was also performing water change everyday (ard 30%) for the next few days. some of the remaining ones didnot not survive the constant WC and perished. /the good news though was the 5 or so left survived, and in time they flourished. Nowe i have a tank overflowing with shrimplets i have to constantly give them away.

So it seems it could be you have disturbed the substrate too much, possibly causing the toxins to be released, which affected the shrimps, and ultimately caused their death. Did any shrimp moult successfully over the last few days? that should give you a god indication.

Perhaps you should try changing around 30% water for the next few days. add seachem prime during the water changes, add bioplus every 2 days.