PDA

View Full Version : filter power question

fatboy
18th Aug 2005, 06:20 AM
I've got a 5 gallon 'Fish R Fun' tank that I'd like to put cherry red shrimp in.

The powerhead that comes with the tank pulls water into the hood filter then drops it into the tank. This creates some turbulance in the water, enough to move gravel. Would this be a problem for shrimp? I can put a rock and plant underneath to spread out the water falling into the tank.

To prevent shrimp being sucked into the filter I have covered the intake with a sponge. Do you think I would be better simply using a regular air-driven sponge filter?

retardo
18th Aug 2005, 07:23 AM
If there's a way to turn adjust the flow on powerhead, I would do that. The setup sounds fine with the sponge on the intake valve.

dissident
18th Aug 2005, 08:47 AM
Once you put the sponge on the intake the flow will lessen a bit, you would think... I have a 6gal nano shrimp tank, the shrimp dont mind the current they seem to have a lot of fun in it. But I would make sure there are a few places the little guys can chill without having to battle a strong current.

NanoDave
19th Aug 2005, 05:23 AM
I agree. Some form of current (not so much that they would move gravel!) will be good, theres currents in nature too. :)

If the current too strong, you can put a small aquarium divider holder on the side of the wall and hold a small piece of acrylic perpendicular to the water current that comes down so that the water force is on the acrylic block and dispersed horizontally. :)

fatboy
19th Aug 2005, 05:30 AM
Thanks folks, that's a great help. Nonodave, I was experimenting with your method and found out how to fit a tube from a syphon set so I now have a horizontal spraybar. :)

NanoDave
19th Aug 2005, 06:24 AM
Thanks folks, that's a great help. Nonodave, I was experimenting with your method and found out how to fit a tube from a syphon set so I now have a horizontal spraybar. :)

Nice! A spraybar will give u a bonus aeration of the water even :)