PDA

View Full Version : scientific name for holger moss

a1matt
3rd Jun 2009, 07:18 PM
Last week I purchased a moss I had never heard of before... Holger moss.
It was from Tropica and named after Holger Windelov.

I want to google it to see if I can find any info, but "holger moss" is not returning any results.

I am curious if anyone else knows the scientific name, or also any other common names for this moss.

Thanks!

a1matt
3rd Jun 2009, 10:20 PM
I also wonder if anyone else has this moss too? ....

Shiollie
11th Jul 2009, 04:23 AM
I found this by searching for Holger Windelov moss by Tropica and came up with this..

Microsorum pteropus "Windelov"

Hope it helps!

a1matt
11th Jul 2009, 05:02 AM
I found this by searching for Holger Windelov moss by Tropica and came up with this..

Microsorum pteropus "Windelov"

Hope it helps!

Hi Shiollie,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately that is the wrong plant.

It partially has the same name as my moss as they are named after the same person (Holger Windelov).

I asked Tropica about the moss I have and they said that it was just a sample that is not going into production and for that reason they had not investigated into it's scientific name. Therefore they labelled it as 'Holger moss'

The plant you mentioned is a specific variety of java fern that is named after Holger Windelov. It is similar to a normal java fern, but has different pattern to the leaf tips. It is a lovely plant IMO!

craigthor
11th Jul 2009, 08:55 AM
Pictures? You can always grow some out to share.

a1matt
11th Jul 2009, 06:50 PM
Pictures? You can always grow some out to share.

I don't think a proper ID could be made from the quality of the pic I can produce :embarasse

I have been growing it on (both emersed and submersed) and sharing it... so far given it to 4 people in the UK, which is not bad considering I have had it less than 2 months :cool:

I will happily discussing swapping mosses with other members of this forum. Probably best to PM me for that.

Shiollie
12th Jul 2009, 05:36 AM
Hi Shiollie,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately that is the wrong plant.

It partially has the same name as my moss as they are named after the same person (Holger Windelov).

I asked Tropica about the moss I have and they said that it was just a sample that is not going into production and for that reason they had not investigated into it's scientific name. Therefore they labelled it as 'Holger moss'

The plant you mentioned is a specific variety of java fern that is named after Holger Windelov. It is similar to a normal java fern, but has different pattern to the leaf tips. It is a lovely plant IMO!

Well, at least I brought it up to the top for you;)